Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: SingleWithKids - choosing a holiday  (Read 17078 times)

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
SingleWithKids - choosing a holiday
« on: January 03, 2010, 05:47:22 PM »
At this time of year we get a lot of people browsing the site trying to decide on holidays. It all looks a bit of a minefield but it's not, we promise !

Types of Holiday
We aim to offer as much variety as possible. Want a 4 star hotel? We've got it (Italian Lakes or our Adults only night). A party weekend or something quieter? We offer all. As a rough guide our calendar for 2010 includes:
1. Camping weekends. Typically around 30-35 tents and on summer weekends. We'll have a number of these around the country from May throughout summer.  For anyone wanting to "glamp" rather than camp, we have a Tipi / Yurt holiday in July - great fun!
2. Camp Fests. Shell Island and Wicksteed both fall into this category with up to 3-400 people. Mad, hectic, busy but great fun.
3. Hostel breaks. A mixture of shared and private rooms in comfortable hostel accommodation. The weekend breaks tend to be larger with groups up to 80 max and some include a party night.  Shared rooms are a great way of making new friends and especially recommended for someone new to the group.  We also offer smaller hostels with groups of between 18-35 parents and children.  All hostels are booked for the exclusive use of our group, this means there are no strangers on the premises and adults and children can relax fully without having to mind other guests.
4. Lodge breaks. Smaller than most of our other trips and usually on sites with swimming pools, sometimes with hot tubs and good quality accommodation. There's usually 3-4 families per lodge and we have a number of lodges together.
5. Hotel accommodation - either with children or without (see our Adult Only trip in March).
6. Something different?  We have farm trips where you stay in "little House in the Prairie" style accommodation with olde worlde charm. Again, smaller groups and a more relaxed pace, but lots to do on site and off.
7. Yearning for guaranteed sun? Our summer offering includes Greece in May and Majorca, Italian Lakes or a lovely French resort (sort of a mini Center Parcs) in peak season.

Who goes on SWK holidays?
Who doesn't?  Well to start with, despite the media stereotype of single parents being teenagers with 3 kids and a ciggy dependency, less than 5% of single parents are teenage, the average age is mid thirties.  The age range on our holidays tends to be between late twenties and early sixties for parents, with children of all ages from babies up.  We haven't met Vicky Pollard yet and are highly unlikely to.  ;)

Our groups come from all over the UK and a mix of professions and circumstances. Doctors and nurses, teachers and students, lawyers and lorry drivers, solicitors and secretaries, shop assistants and dentists, professional stay at home parents, chefs and university lecturers, award winning actresses and dance teachers. The list is endless but all are hard working, hard caring single parents looking for good company and a fun break.

What to expect
It's not boot camp, our aim is to bring single parent families together and provide a loose structure of events so that everyone has the chance to get to know each other and make new friends. On most trips there's an event arranged each day but it's not boot camp, you can dip in and dip out as you see fit. Each trip is accompanied by a coordinator, a single parent themselves and there to help make sure you have a good break.

Naturally the pace and presentation is different depending on the size of the trip - our 120 person New Year in Bath is a world away from the French Holiday resort where 20 of us spent a glorious week in Normandy.  

To anyone new to SWK or considering your first break don't hesitate to post here and find out more about any trip you're considering, we hope there's something for everyone.

Silky x
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 05:49:43 PM by Silky »
A positive mental attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"

Offline Peekaboo

• Coordinator.
  • addict
Re: SingleWithKids - choosing a holiday
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 05:51:33 PM »

Ummmmm,  rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Just had a look at the holiday board and its looking good.

Well done.....decisions, decisions
Many a false step is made by standing still.
Love is like wildflowers...it is often found in the most unlikely places.
Ideas are like children; there are none so wonderful as your own.

Offline sunflora

• trainee
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 05:56:37 PM »
I only noticed yesterday that there were TWO pages!!!!  ;D

Andrea :)
There have been many times this year when I've disturbed you, troubled you, pestered you. irritated you, bugged you or just plainly got on your nerves so today I just wanted to tell you... TOUGH poop! There are no changes scheduled for 2010!!! ENJOY! X

Offline Peekaboo

• Coordinator.
  • addict
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 06:06:18 PM »

Yep, me and my daughter our sat with our diaries right now, making our wish lists.......

Might catch ya one x
Many a false step is made by standing still.
Love is like wildflowers...it is often found in the most unlikely places.
Ideas are like children; there are none so wonderful as your own.

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 06:19:58 PM »

We're not actually finished yet Andrea, some trips aren't up on site, some aren't even on the grid yet. Talk about Work In Progress...... :)

Silky x
A positive mental attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"

Offline sunflora

• trainee
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 06:35:44 PM »
I am thinking that maybe this year, we will give Menorca a miss (have only been every year twice since 1999!!)  Have got a list of at least 6 so far!!!  Really do need to get finances sorted (hopefully by April) and then I can hopefully get booking - providing they haven't all been booked up!!!  Been checking train costs etc and as I have a family & friends railcard it isn't adding that much more expense which is all the better!  :D

There have been many times this year when I've disturbed you, troubled you, pestered you. irritated you, bugged you or just plainly got on your nerves so today I just wanted to tell you... TOUGH poop! There are no changes scheduled for 2010!!! ENJOY! X

Offline LAK

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 10:07:36 PM »
I've pretty much planned my whole year with SWK!  The kids are not bothered where we go as long as it's with SWK.  I'm feeling so isolated now that I can't wait for my next trip.  About 5 weeks to go I think!
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline infinity67

• beyond all hope !
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 10:47:59 PM »
I have had serious finger twitching since getting back from kent after new year.

I wanna book something but still waiting for details

Is there a cure for this condition?

Help
copyright of Infinity67

Offline jjpink

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 05:02:27 PM »
I am hoping that i can meet lots of lovely people just feel a little nervous being on my own any suggestions? x

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 05:29:56 PM »
Hi JJ,

Although the forum gives the impression that everyone knows each other, most people that come on the trips don't actually use the forum and most people don't know anyone.  In fact during last summer, around 70% of holiday makers were total newcomers to the club, out of 22 families in Majorca only 6 had actually been on an SWK trip previously, and as they'd mainly been on different trips, they didn't know each other either. 

Our email IN box is always full of mail from parents nervous about coming on a holiday, the chances are that most people feel a little intrepidation before their very first trip, and it tends to last all of 30 minutes or so until you unpack and settle in. Everyone is friendly, everyone a single parent and so immediately having something in common, and everyone has chosen a group holiday for the same reason - for company, both adult and child.

There is always a coordinator on each trip, if you're particularly nervous it's a good idea to let us know beforehand and then make contact with the coordinator who will help introduce you. We try and start each holiday with some kind of get-together to help break the ice.

People have mixed feelings about shared rooms, I've actually found them useful in cementing friendships, there's automatically a potential friend there waiting for you.  Smaller trips can also be less daunting and an easier way to get to know everyone on the trip quickly.

I hope this helps!

Silky x

p.s. I can't remember which page it is, but on one of the holiday pages for 2010 there's a testimonial where someone mentioned they nearly didn't turn up, they were nervous.....but then loved it. I hope you find the same.

Offline Eileen J

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 12:09:07 PM »
Hi Silky,
It is Eileen again. I am initially intersted in a trip just for me and josh , my 9 year old, but what are the facilities like for single parents with disabled children? my eldest boy is 13 and in a wheelchair.
Thanks.

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 10:28:04 PM »
Hi Eileen,
The facilities differ from holiday to holiday - some holidays like the National Forest at Easter have great faciliities, some older properties are not quite as wheelchair friendly.

Please confirm with us prior to booking a trip and we can confirm accordingly - please email us at info@singlewithkids.co.uk

Silky x

Offline SoniaE

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 05:09:54 PM »
Hi..Im still trying to get used to your boards at the mo...still a newbie :)
Im just wondering if someone can tell me if these holidays can be paid in installments? I dont know if this has been asked, but Ive done a search and cant find an answer.
Thanks
Sonia

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2010, 05:13:21 PM »
Hi Sonia,
Welcome to the forum.

The holidays all need a deposit to secure the booking, after that we send out a link to pay the balance usually 6-8 weeks before the actual holiday (depending on the trip).  We do however have holiday vouchers that you can purchase inbetween to help pay towards the balance, the link to these is in the email you receive after booking a trip. The vouchers can be purchased in denominations of £10 and upwards to give flexibility.

Richard is working on a new booking system which will, at some stage, give the option of set instalments on a trip, in the meantime the vouchers allow you to pay as and when you prefer.

Hope this helps!
Silky x

Offline sunflora

• trainee
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 06:53:24 PM »
Thanks for the reminder of the hol vouchers Silky... Had forgotten all about them... might have to invest in some and then pick and choose!!!

Offline Jean

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 10:11:25 PM »

Hello I'm new to SWK and i'm hoping to be able to go away abroad next year with you.  I see in one of your comments that you mention deposits and vouchers - are deposits always a set amount or a % + how far in advance do you advertise the holidays?  I'll apologise now cos i'm likely to be a pain in the but til i've got it straight in my head - never been away just me and my daugther -who's 7 - do you get 'paired' with similar (ie, another 1 adult, 1 child)??  Thanks :o

Offline wafgem

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 08:55:48 PM »
Hi,

Im a new single parent and need a holiday guys. i need your help with this as i am new to it. My son is 4 what do you recommend? is it wrond to ask whether there is any time on an evening for the parents to get together for a drink and/or a chat?

Thanks

Gemma

Offline Blue Sky

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 07:07:06 PM »
Hi Gemma

And welcome - right holiday, right kids and right parents and you will find there is time during the day for a drink and a chat too ;D

I am sure there are plenty of others who have  more experience and will give you more advice on the types of hols - Chrissie will probably spot your post soon. 

Personally, I have only been on one SWK holiday with a 6 yr old - New Forest Camping - kids occupied themselves, apart from the feeding and forcing to bed. All I had left to do was talk incessantly and drink red wine!

Karen
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Offline starlite

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 06:07:03 PM »
hi do you recieve confirmation of camping holiday in the post?? thanks x

Offline Mand

• Coordinator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 06:16:36 PM »
you'll get a confirmation email from paypal to say that youve paid starlite ....then a few weeks before the trip you'll get an email from SWK confirming all the holiday details.

Offline LittleMissNaughty

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 07:58:38 PM »
Mand, should we have heard by now? Getting a bit worried?!!  8)

Offline That Brummie

• Coordinator
  • addict
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 08:07:42 PM »

Which trip for? Peaks?
I imagine the info will be on its way to us very soon :-)

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 08:10:48 PM »
Yes, the Peaks....Thankyou That brummie x

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2012, 01:27:14 AM »

Don't worry, we've been a little delayed (a few days in a place with no internet really does bugger up schedules). We'll be sending out details tomorrow, and then we can all start focussing on a bit of positive thinking to get the sun to join us.... :)

Silky x

Offline sarah1976

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2012, 09:12:11 AM »
Phew! I was starting to panic.......

Sx
A woman uses her intelligence to find reasons to support her intuition.

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 06:51:44 PM »
The sun WILL shine!!!  8)

Offline collette

• SWK Member
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2012, 09:40:07 AM »
Hi not sure if posting in right place ??
Just joined and been looking at all trips and holidays. can anyone tell me how early holidays for next year will show? Have to confirm so early with work and agree dates with ex so the earlier the better. Unfortunately too late for us to this year :(
BTW I am a 45 year old mum of a 10 year old son in Canterbury Kent.......anyone near me??x
The future is what you make it :) x

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2012, 01:43:21 PM »
Hi Collette,
We're just in the process of agreeing rates for next year's holidays, these will be appearing over the course of the next month, with new additions up to December (giving us a chance to check out hotels and areas). We'll post up on here and our facebook page when there's a new addition online.

Silky x

www.facebook.com/SingleWithKids

Offline Bex723

• Sessional carer for special needs
  • Work hard Love more and Don't forget to Party
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2014, 12:11:28 AM »
Hey I'm new here just browsing looking for something good to do with my daughter this summer and found this :)just wandered if I would fit in as I am 23 with a 4 year old although a ypung mum I work hard and love my little girl to bits. I have a good group of friends but not many are mums so a holiday with this grpup would be ideal for my daughter and myself to make friends.. ifI would fit in
This shephard needs more sheep Twitter:beckysh_1990 Instergram:bex723

Offline meandbuzz

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2014, 12:01:52 PM »
Hi
I'm new on here too, I'm older than you, not saying how much! with a three year old and am planning to book for the Menorca holiday in July

Offline Foggy

• trainee
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2014, 12:17:56 PM »
Hi -- not wishing to be sexist, but ....... do many blokes come on these holidays ??

Offline CB2

• Coordinator.
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2014, 08:27:48 PM »
There are men on most of the holidays, won't lie and say loads but I have holidays with 1 or 2 up to half the trip.

I am led to believe there is a good mix on the camping trips (don't camp myself).

Look at the trips, find one you fancy and book it, you won't regret it.
Life is what you make it.

Offline Pearl

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2014, 09:03:33 PM »
Bex723 - that's how I came to find SWK too!  I'm in my mid 30s and my little one is 2.  I went on a few camping trips last year and have made some wonderful friends both on and off the forums.  I'd highly recommend camping, especially if you're on a budget.

And Foggy I'd say it is a pretty reasonable question.  My only experience is of the camping holidays.  I found it to be a pretty good mix.  There were probably more mums than dads, but I think it balanced fairly well.  I seem to recall a few dads sitting around the campfire chatting on an evening.  Ask WT4 - I think he must know everyone!
"There will be little rubs and disappointments everywhere, and we are all apt to expect too much; but then, if one scheme of happiness fails, human nature turns to another; if the first calculation is wrong, we make a second better: we find comfort somewhere."   --Jane Austen

Offline Deborah43

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2014, 11:58:31 PM »
Foggy - there are probably more than enough men on trips for you to not feel like the token male.  I've found that there are usually many more people who don't frequent the forum on trips than there are those that do, so it's not all a clique-y thing going on either. 
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."

Offline WT4

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • There's Only One
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2014, 12:56:22 PM »
here were probably more mums than dads, but I think it balanced fairly well.  I seem to recall a few dads sitting around the campfire chatting on an evening.  Ask WT4 - I think he must know everyone!

Ha Ha ... everyone is welcome to come warm themselves around my fire-pit ... most are welcome to come again ... some are welcome to stay - oh, did I say that out loud?

In any event ... have fun :)
Two things we give our children: roots & wings

Offline hippychick01

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2014, 12:38:37 PM »
Hey I'm new here just browsing looking for something good to do with my daughter this summer and found this :)just wandered if I would fit in as I am 23 with a 4 year old although a ypung mum I work hard and love my little girl to bits. I have a good group of friends but not many are mums so a holiday with this grpup would be ideal for my daughter and myself to make friends.. ifI would fit in

Hi Bex723... I've only been on one of the holidays but it was brill... have lots planned for this year funds permitting :) Book you won't regret it! And your daughter will have a fab time :) x
Forget health food. I'm at an age where I need all the preservatives I can get.

Offline Stoffa

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2017, 06:06:39 PM »
Hi, I'm interested in a couple of your holidays and have not booked before so it will be my first time with swk.  Can you help by telling me how I can find out more details about the room, the numbers when its shared and the type of bed that I and my child will have?  The information could be there but I'm afraid I'm not seeing it at the mo.  Also, the booking process doesn't give me the option for a private room (unless I have more kids).  I'm looking at the south coast break and cornwall sea view.  Thanks.

Offline monkeys mom

• Administrator
  • trainee
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2017, 10:40:30 AM »
Most of the information about a holiday is available on the website under that particular holiday (if not then just drop a line to the office at events@singlewithkids.co.uk). After booking you'll receive a booking confirmation email - if anything on here isn't clarified then just drop a line to the office.

Rooms are allocated once bookings are received and before the holiday you will receive an email with details of who is going (first names and ages of children) and who is your SWK co-ordinator for the holiday along with their contact details. They will have full details of who is staying in which room based on the booking information. They also organise get-togethers and are your go-to for any queries etc whilst away so that you get the most out of your holiday
MM x
Sometimes when you give up on someone, its not because you don't care but because you realise that they don't.

Single Parent Holidays in the UK and Overseas. Single With Kids offers the widest range of breaks and holidays for single parents, from camping with kids and value breaks through to all inclusive overseas resorts and adventure holidays. Our destinations range from the Lakes through to Lapland, Center Parcs to Tunisia. All Single With Kids Holidays are in group settings with the focus on fun and friendship. Everyone is a single parent family with children aged from babies through to teenagers, and mums and dads from all backgrounds.*Single With Kids Ltd * Greg Street, Stockport SK5 7BR * Telephone 0845 166 8119 *

Copyright © 2014 Single with Kids.
All rights reserved.