Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Camping In April?  (Read 6180 times)

Offline Nutty_Mummy

• trainee
Camping In April?
« on: January 17, 2009, 10:40:28 PM »
Anyone ever done it?

I am thinking about taking DS in the easer holidays armed with sleeping bag and extra quilts!!

WOuld anyon want to join us? x
Nutty_Mummy X

Offline Phil

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
Re: Camping In April?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 10:43:13 PM »
Depends where and when you are thinking of NM, I used to winter camp and the kids have been camping as early as March.
Leicestershire & Rutland 4x4 Response

Offline pod

• addict
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 10:43:45 PM »
Uni hol's for me, but back to work full time but could do a long weekend over bank hol's?

Depends where you are thinking of going as due to work commitments and having assignments due for uni I wouldn't want to travel too far.  I'm in the South East.

Also need to buy a tent!

D. x

Offline CB2

• Coordinator.
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 10:47:42 PM »
Lots of years ago, I remember camping at Easter and there was ice on the tent,  Never ever again,  definately a fair weather camper now
Life is what you make it.

Offline neil

• beyond all hope !
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 11:11:28 PM »
I'd avoid the Shetland Isles in April for camping

Offline skittle

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 01:55:52 AM »
Like CB2 did it once but never again -  I have never been so cold  :( :(
NEVER MISTAKE POWER FOR WISDOM

Offline STH

• part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 07:46:12 AM »
Hi Nutty,

Ricardo & Chrissie have arranged an Easter trip for the second week of the school holidays, but the first week is free.  I would imagine that there would be quite a few people (myself included) who'd be interested in camping somewhere in the south then.

Peter

Two wrongs don't make a left

Offline The Naughtiest Girl

• beyond all hope !
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 08:02:50 AM »
Camping in April??

When you say the south Peter I hope you are talking about hemisphere's!!

God I admire you all, once it gets to end of May I will camp but anything before then and I am not brave enough for the weather

Have a good time you all!

Rach
x
Courage is looking fear right in the eye and saying " Excuse me, get the hell out of my way, I have things to do "

brightstar

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 08:34:15 AM »
We would def be up for this.
We have camped in the colder weather before.
Take both quilts and sleeping bags and just for a few nights.

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 12:49:14 PM »
I've been camping for about 15 years now but I've got to say I'm definitely a fair weather camper - my season tends to start June or end of May at a push and finishes early September. Frustrating as it's only 4 months of the year but I do try and cram in as many trips as possible in this time.

When we were at Betws-y-Coed at New Year, some people (NOT in our group!) were camping there, there was snow on the ground and it was ruddy freezing, that's not committed, that's insane !

Make sure you take lots of warm clothes and covers and - essential - a thick air bed and something under it. The cold comes in from the ground too and it can be really uncomfortable - in fact if you've any sheepskin rugs at home I'd suggest putting these on top of your airbed and lying on these.

Best of luck!
Silky x
A positive mental attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"

Offline JustRuby

• beyond all hope !
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 10:45:34 PM »
Camping with snow on the ground???? flipping heck thats madness  ;D
To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world....

Offline JoMc

• trainee
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 07:29:26 AM »
My first camping trip with my little man was in April - easter holidays 2007 to the lakes, it was cosy and we had plenty of blankets and stuff, but it was still freezing cold despite the sun shining. The second trip was the last May bank holiday in 2007 and I had convinced my brother and his family to go camping too, telling them that it was a fun cheap holiday!! The wind blew, the rain came down and once again it was freezing !!

Me, I'm definately fair weather now!!!

Good luck if you are brave enough to face the elements in April
Jo

Offline kendra

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 09:24:23 PM »
not keen to camp in april but would go to haven site primrose valley nwear scarborough is great and if you share caravan with another single mum only half cost each.my friend and i did it for a few years and both us and kids loved it.not as cold in caravans you can pay extra for heated ones .

Offline MelM

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2009, 09:45:30 PM »
We camped in Hawes, Yorkshire in April. It was so cold we wore all the clothes we could find and climbed into the same sleeping bag (needless to say we couldnt move). The battery on the car died, so we couldnt get home immediately and when we woke up in the morning it had been snowing. The next night we had horrendous stormy winds in the night and when I woke up, (I did get some sleep), screaming because I thought the tent had collapsed on us. But fortunately it was my mummy sleeping bag that had twisted around and was covering my face. I can laugh now...

But don’t let this put you off, i myself will stick to camping between last May bank hol and middle of Sept.

Happy camping
Mel

Offline Mia

• SWK Member..
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2009, 09:48:50 PM »
It was beautiful here in April this year, we had 2 weekends on the trot with family visiting and we had picnics in the garden both times in really hot sunshine!

March, April & May were MUCH better than June, July & August  ;)

Ami
Having children makes you no more a parent than having a piano makes you a pianist.  Michael Levine.

Offline MelM

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 10:14:26 PM »
Hi Ami

Yes, it was nice here in April, I think the seasons are all messed up, our snowy experience was some years ago.

But it is still really cold at night in uptill the end of May. Its that early hours of the morning when you wake up and your feet are like blocks of ice and you need to run to the loo across two fields, dodging the guy ropes and tent pegs.

I love camping, you can’t beat waking up with that fresh outdoors feeling, but I still wouldnt camp in April again, not unless it was a warmer country perhaps. My kids can’t wait to go camping again, we didn’t manage to go this year and they were gutted. So hopefully if something appears on this lovely website for May onwards, we will be there...

See you tomorrow.
Mel

Offline Ann Stig (official SWK booking name)

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • Its what summers all about
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2009, 10:53:21 PM »
Hi

I went camping in March last year, it was glorious sunshine and lovely and warm in the morning.  I'd certainly go in April depending on where and the forecast (obviously).  Also i'd insist on a site with electric hookup for an overnight heater too.

Also depends on my Uni workload but please keep me informed, its a possible.

Ann

Single Parent Holidays in the UK and Overseas. Single With Kids offers the widest range of breaks and holidays for single parents, from camping with kids and value breaks through to all inclusive overseas resorts and adventure holidays. Our destinations range from the Lakes through to Lapland, Center Parcs to Tunisia. All Single With Kids Holidays are in group settings with the focus on fun and friendship. Everyone is a single parent family with children aged from babies through to teenagers, and mums and dads from all backgrounds.*Single With Kids Ltd * Greg Street, Stockport SK5 7BR * Telephone 0845 166 8119 *

Copyright © 2014 Single with Kids.
All rights reserved.