Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: FREE DAYS OUT  (Read 9092 times)

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
FREE DAYS OUT
« on: October 02, 2008, 01:16:30 PM »
Does anyone know of any free attractions - either local to them or that they've visited or even just been recommended? It might help to pull a little list together for inspiration....

Good free days out in our area include:

The Manchester Museum of Science & Industry - a good interactive area and comprehensive museum, fills more than a day

Tatton Park - a great adventure playground, a lakeside walk, fields to run around in, great ice cream and regular exhibitions. Entrance to park free, pay for parking or special exhibitions

Bruntwood Park, Cheadle Hulme. Another great park with great climbing ropes and a separate playground for the tots. Easy to kill 2-3 hours here without even noticing, there's snacks nearby and fields for picnics.

Silky x
A positive mental attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"

Offline danensis

• beyond all hope !
  • If it seems too good to be true - it probably is
Re: FREE DAYS OUT
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 01:30:46 PM »
I posted some links to a "Free Days Out" website some time ago. I'll see if I can find my old post.

John
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Offline funpops

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 04:59:40 PM »
Hi
I keep meaning to visit Whitworth Art Gallery its at the end of curry mile, nice smell.  The cafe is lovely full on yummy stuff homemade and good cakes and coffee.  They do a free art class for any age on Sundays 1.30 - 3.00 they always vary the sessions and its a brill place to have a look around all sorts of stuff.
The other brill place is The Blue Bell Centre on the way to Hyde, they have a pottery centre which does cost.  But they have free bouncy castle and huge huge tree swings and a huge garden, pond area with animals.  Oh and lovely ice cream especially the honey comb and caramel fresh dairy stuff.
Lynne x

Offline mish28

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 05:15:59 PM »

The Coventry Transport Museum, it's great for all ages.

Coombe Park - all sorts to see and do there.

It's good to know what you don't know, it gives you an objective

Offline STH

• part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 05:48:36 PM »
Hi Ricardo & Chrissie

how about putting the suggestions into the appropriate areas, so that each area has a "Free day out" section for easy reference

Peter
Two wrongs don't make a left

Offline Von

• trainee
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 08:34:52 PM »
If I am right, the museums in Liverpool are free.

On the Wirral side we only have the beaches and the woods which are free nothing much else.

Offline helen

• addict
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 08:47:08 PM »
Llanberis Slate museum.
Free entry but the train is extra.
Very good attraction for those kids and adults interested in a bit of history. Been there several times with the girls and they enjoy it each and every time.
Locally there is a park. But at extra cost as mentioned is the little railway on the site or the snowdon railway just off site but in walking distance.

Offline Cake maker

• trainee
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 08:49:54 PM »
Thanks for those links John. Had a quick look at one of them and already some new ideas for things to do. I've a feeling I'll be in need of inspiration on some of the approaching wet, wintery days!
Amanda x

Offline CB2

• Coordinator.
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 09:24:29 PM »
Royal Armouries Leeds

National Coal Mining Museum

Railway museum York

Life is what you make it.

Offline elliefreya

• beyond all hope !
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 10:04:13 PM »
Moss Bank Park in Bury I think. This is fantastic, it has a butteryfly farm, mini zoo with hundereds of animals, and the biggest playground youve ever seen, all for free. There are also fairground rides and a cafe at extra cost. Really worth a visit!!!

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 11:10:07 PM »
Hi Ricardo & Chrissie

how about putting the suggestions into the appropriate areas, so that each area has a "Free day out" section for easy reference

Peter

It's purely down to time at the moment Peter, it takes a while to go through them. But as ever, there are other ideas.... ;)  ;)

Feel free if you're bored to put a couple in your area though, the more information we have in the regional sections the better.

Danensis, great links - thanks!!!!

Silk yx
A positive mental attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"

Offline Von

• trainee
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 11:13:46 PM »
I think members need to realise they can post links in their own areas as I think everyone will agree both Chrissie and Ricardo have so much to do just keeping the site running alone that member who come up with great ideas in their area post it in the right area.

Members as well as admin keep this site running smoothly.

Offline The Naughtiest Girl

• beyond all hope !
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 04:56:42 AM »
Media museum Bradford
http://www.nationalmediamuseum.org.uk/

Potential SWK there Nov 15th

Royal Armouries museum, has Narnia costumes on display in an exhibition at the moment
http://www.royalarmouries.org/home

The industrial museum which shows exactly how people used to live and work who were attached to the mills, also has horse and cart trips around it

Cups of tea and home made buns at my house - always here and always free

Rach
xx
http://www.bradfordmuseums.org/industrialmuseum/
Courage is looking fear right in the eye and saying " Excuse me, get the hell out of my way, I have things to do "

Offline danensis

• beyond all hope !
  • If it seems too good to be true - it probably is
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 02:26:12 PM »
If you do go to the Photography Museum in Bradford, spare some time to nip round the corner into Little Germany and visit the Colour Museum. Its not well known but quite fascinating. I remember Tim and I spending a considerable time there when he was younger trying to get a computer programme to mix dyes that didn't end up as a black gunge in the bottom of the tank!

John
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Offline jane mum 3

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 06:35:13 PM »
on the wirral side there is tam o shanters urban farm in bidston, my kids loved this place when they were younger and still do, fills a few hours and its free, lovely cafe and play area sometimes they have stuff on in the barn for kids.

Also port sunlight art gallery have kids story time on a sunday afternoon, its great again fills a few hours, normally puppets and then painting/drawing, and we love the trains at royden park they run every sunday depending on weather, but i  have been when its raining and still running, again free but there is a donation box, we love birkenhead park and the vistors centre, normally there is arts/crafts things going on at the weekends/school hols, i find the wirral has so much free stuff to do with the kids.

Offline kendra

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 09:26:33 PM »
discovery museum in newcastle is free and a really nice day out.cafe is expensive but there is an indoor picnic area to take your own food in .

Single Parent Holidays in the UK and Overseas. Single With Kids offers the widest range of breaks and holidays for single parents, from camping with kids and value breaks through to all inclusive overseas resorts and adventure holidays. Our destinations range from the Lakes through to Lapland, Center Parcs to Tunisia. All Single With Kids Holidays are in group settings with the focus on fun and friendship. Everyone is a single parent family with children aged from babies through to teenagers, and mums and dads from all backgrounds.*Single With Kids Ltd * Greg Street, Stockport SK5 7BR * Telephone 0845 166 8119 *

Copyright © 2014 Single with Kids.
All rights reserved.