Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: child maintenance and gap years  (Read 2614 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline jenniferpie

  • newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
  • Gender: Female
child maintenance and gap years
« on: August 14, 2017, 05:14:16 PM »
Hi there, first time on here so here goes.    Daughter is going on a gap year (depending on results this Thursday), and ex has already told me this month will be the last of child maintenance.     The court order (divorce in 2002) said he must pay while daughter in FTE.    He has left work but earns more now than he did when he was working full time. (Banker).   Any suggestions.   Daughter shares her time between my home and her dad's now, but still spends time with me.   Do I need to reapply now for the order to start up again September 2018?   As I still need to have space for my daughter to have a home here, is there option for asking for maintenance to continue?    I understand going to court is expensive but my ex will not want full disclosure on his wealth, either in property terms, companies, savings etc. although he is adept at losing funds.   I have thought about renting out rooms but don't want to do with while my daughter is staying so I would really like to know what to do without involving my daughter and asking if she would like to stay with her dad or me when she is at home.    Ex will not mediate or communicate on any level, so will either be court or nothing?

Offline WT4

  • Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • *****
  • Posts: 3,717
  • Gender: Male
  • There's Only One
Re: child maintenance and gap years
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 08:36:29 AM »
The court order is in line with current legislation ... Child Maintenance is payable whilst the child is in Full Time education - up to Level 2 (I think) and age 19.

If either parent wishes to continue supporting the child through a gap year they can, of course, make arrangements for the child to receive an allowance.

Two things we give our children: roots & wings

Offline Tulip

  • trainee
  • **
  • Posts: 412
  • Gender: Female
Re: child maintenance and gap years
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 09:46:18 PM »
Last poster is correct. Your ex doesn't have to do anymore.  Your child is now an adult and if they want to take a gap year then they need to ensure they have the funds to cover it. No point in going to court, the judge will not order him to pay money so that an adult child can take an extended jolly.  His assets now are completely irrelevant and only his business. It sounds as if the financial settlement was dealt with many years ago and he has done what was required.


Single Parent Holidays in the UK and Overseas. Single With Kids offers the widest range of breaks and holidays for single parents, from camping with kids and value breaks through to all inclusive overseas resorts and adventure holidays. Our destinations range from the Lakes through to Lapland, Center Parcs to Tunisia. All Single With Kids Holidays are in group settings with the focus on fun and friendship. Everyone is a single parent family with children aged from babies through to teenagers, and mums and dads from all backgrounds.*Single With Kids Ltd * Greg Street, Stockport SK5 7BR * Telephone 0845 166 8119 *

Copyright © 2014 Single with Kids.
All rights reserved.