Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Bed with no supper?  (Read 3255 times)

Offline Ms_wormwood

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
Bed with no supper?
« on: December 17, 2016, 04:56:36 PM »
I know they say that you should never send you child to bed without supper as a punishment, but is it OK to do so if your child doesn't eat any of her meals during the day and rufuses to ate anything she's offered from 3pm onwards?
I mean breakfast, she only ate half (a small bun with chocolate spread and chocolate milk)
Morning snack, only a bite
Lunch, she asked if I would be upset if she only had fruit from the buffet, I thought it's better than nothing, she said she was full after half, I made her eat more, so she ate 3/4
Theater she had an ice-cream during the interval
Then in a cafe..... Nothing, just cocoa.... As soon as we had to leave she was really hungry, paid, said bye to friends, went over street to the christmas market.... Food galore.... Nothing. Father christmas asked if she wanted anything, nothing.... I was hoping we could have dinner there.... Anything, pizza, raclette, rosti, oriental, south American.... Anything, followed by churros or fried apples or doughnuts.... Nope, not hungry.
I bet at half an hour before bed she will say she is hungry, then only eat half what I give her. So what if I say tough at half an hour before bed, invite her to the fruit bowl but refuse to cook? Is that bad parenting? Well, I am annoyed and don't want to cook, or order in, for her when I know it will mean a) a late night and b) she won't eat it anyway.... So is it mean to say no if she askes for dinner?
I know I'm the adult but it's a pattern of behaviour that is driving me up the wall. Forcing her to eat causes huge issues, letting her graze means she eats nothing, so, maybe, just this one day, I say no. No food.
Onwards and upwards.

Offline CB2

• Coordinator.
  • beyond all hope !
Re: Bed with no supper?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 05:54:59 PM »
I think you are right, if she is hungry she will eat fruit.

Stick to meal times for food and if she is hungry in between because she hasn't eaten then offer fruit; she will soon realise she needs to eat a meal times; good luck
Life is what you make it.

Offline monkeys mom

• Administrator
  • trainee
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 10:43:44 AM »
Yep as CB2 says - stick to meal times to try to get a pattern going. Nothing inbetween so builds an appetite for meals.
Sometimes when you give up on someone, its not because you don't care but because you realise that they don't.

Offline WT4

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • There's Only One
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 12:21:33 PM »
Open access fruit bowl is a good thing.  So much so that I get a little pang of parental guilt when any of my children ask permission to take some.
Two things we give our children: roots & wings

Single Parent Holidays in the UK and Overseas. Single With Kids offers the widest range of breaks and holidays for single parents, from camping with kids and value breaks through to all inclusive overseas resorts and adventure holidays. Our destinations range from the Lakes through to Lapland, Center Parcs to Tunisia. All Single With Kids Holidays are in group settings with the focus on fun and friendship. Everyone is a single parent family with children aged from babies through to teenagers, and mums and dads from all backgrounds.*Single With Kids Ltd * Greg Street, Stockport SK5 7BR * Telephone 0845 166 8119 *

Copyright © 2014 Single with Kids.
All rights reserved.