Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: First trip  (Read 6016 times)

Offline Mich123

First trip
« on: March 28, 2016, 06:36:10 AM »
Hi everyone

Thinking of booking our first camping trip to the new forest I have a 2 year old and am a bit nervous. Not sure how I'll manage putting the tent up especially when trying to an eye on my toddler. I've taken her camping before but am worried she's a bit young to brave it on my own
Is anyone else going or has been on this trip that can offer any advice? Do people tend to do their own thing or do group activities? How many families tend to go on these trips?

Thanks
Mich

Offline CB2

• Coordinator.
  • beyond all hope !
Re: First trip
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 09:22:31 AM »
While I am not a camper myself, the camping trips a legendary and the people who go on them are so friendly you and your 2 year old will have a great time and I would have no hesitation in recommending them.

There will be people around to help you put up your tent and I am sure your 2 year old will be looked after by a number of eager younger girls who just love the little ones.

I am sure there will be someone along shortly who camps regularly and can give you hints and tips.

Book it, you certainly won't regret it.
Life is what you make it.

Offline Blue Sky

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 11:55:27 AM »
Welcome  :) The short answer is go for it!  I think everyone is nervous on these kind of trips but you will soon wonder why.

If you have already camped with her, you will be fine :) - you know what you are doing and people are willing to give you hand with your tent if you need it.  My child was a bit older when we did our first ever camping trip, which was this one.   I used to settle her on a picnic blanket with some snacks, while I pitched the tent.  Could you leave your daughter strapped in her car seat or pushchair, if you are worried about her doing a runner? 

Its a pretty big trip - I think about 60 pitches (sure Bill will be along to confirm or deny shortly).  SWK uses a separate area - which is really nice as you know everyone is in the same situation as you and I have no problem saying hi to random strangers!  The kids make friends, you make friends.

No organised group activities other than the music in the evening.  But people do naturally get together for frying pan tennis/football/kids sharing paddling pools/communal meals.  Peppa Pig world is not far - again some people car share.  Just depends how social you want to be.

Hope to see you there.  8)
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Offline Mich123

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 10:07:18 PM »
Thanks. Think I'm going to brave it, just need to find a smaller tent. Think our 5 man family tent may be a bit tricky for me to put up  :)

Offline WT4

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • There's Only One
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 10:38:00 PM »
Maybe not quite so many as 60 at New Forest, though I could be wrong.  This one is becoming more popular, it seems, every year.  One thing I really like about this camp at the end of June is that it stays light for so long.

Mich, you'll be fine with your tent as it is.  There really aren't many tents that can't be set up by one person working methodically ... I've found it's always an easier job when the children are helping by staying out of the way.  Save your money, walking around the site and chatting to other Single Parents, checking out their set up you'll soon find plenty of things you simply NEED before the next camp :)

You'll be ever so pleased with yourself once you have your first camp done. 

Hope to see you in the summer.

Two things we give our children: roots & wings

Offline KerryBee

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 11:47:24 PM »
Hi Mich

I've booked on to this trip too and it's my first camping trip with SWK, I am a bit nervous but after posting in another thread on here, I feel really reassured that we'll be surrounded by a lovely group of people.

I won't be arriving until later on in the day (about 5-6pm - I hope that's OK!) as I work and I'm coming from Surrey. But I'll happily help anyone to set up if I'm not the last one there! I also have a bigger tent and might need a hand lol.

Looking forward to meeting everyone  :)

Offline WT4

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • There's Only One
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 12:48:45 AM »
KerryBee, at that time of day you will neither be first on site or last.

Feel free to bring your nervous apprehension with you ... we can burn it on the fire pit while we're toasting the marshmallows, ok? :)

Offline Blue Sky

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 10:19:29 AM »
Unless its super heavy or super complicated to pitch, I wouldn't bother changing it either. 

I camp with a six man tent and there is lots of space at the site so no need to limit yourself.

Look forward to meeting you both in the long, hot, dry summer we are guaranteed this year.......  :)

Offline KerryBee

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 12:57:55 AM »
KerryBee, at that time of day you will neither be first on site or last.

Feel free to bring your nervous apprehension with you ... we can burn it on the fire pit while we're toasting the marshmallows, ok? :)

Sounds perfect! :D

Offline Mich123

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 09:19:58 AM »
Thanks for your replies. You convinced me, we're all booked, yay!

We'll prob arrive about lunch time, I'll be the one chasing a toddler and not getting in a muddle with my tent. It's going to be fab  ;D

Looking forward to meeting you all  :)

Offline Mich123

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 09:39:05 AM »
Any tips welcome! Food/milk/wine storage etc! Obviously it's going to be boiling so what is everyone planning on doing to keep stuff cold? Not sure a cooler bag will last the weekend.

Offline Blue Sky

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 11:56:42 AM »
You can hire freezer blocks at the Reception (refundable deposit of £1 plus about 25p or 50p).  I think you can buy milk there too?

There are villages within 10-15 min drive - people often do runs for ice cubes etc.

Bill posted something about bucket of cold water, tea towels and keeping wine cool ..... I drink red; so always good to go. 

Freeze as much as you can; then it will thaw slowly and keep your cool box cooler too.

The ice cream van usually visits once a day  :)

Offline Papa Smurf

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 12:48:08 PM »
A few of us have these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-36QT-Xtreme-Cooler/dp/B000SSFCES/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1459597593&sr=8-5&keywords=coleman+xtreme+cooler

Expensive (should be able to find cheaper than the one on this page) but if you camp a lot they are worth every penny.

Offline WT4

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • There's Only One
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 09:09:10 PM »
Bill posted something about bucket of cold water, tea towels and keeping wine cool

I did :)

It's trivial.  Place items to be kept cool in bucket.  Fill bucket with water.  Put a teatowel over the top.  The water evaporating will take heat with it.

Frozen CapriSun etc in the bag also help keep stuff fresh over a weekend.

Offline Mich123

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 09:48:35 PM »
Ok great, thanks.

Single Parent Holidays in the UK and Overseas. Single With Kids offers the widest range of breaks and holidays for single parents, from camping with kids and value breaks through to all inclusive overseas resorts and adventure holidays. Our destinations range from the Lakes through to Lapland, Center Parcs to Tunisia. All Single With Kids Holidays are in group settings with the focus on fun and friendship. Everyone is a single parent family with children aged from babies through to teenagers, and mums and dads from all backgrounds.*Single With Kids Ltd * Greg Street, Stockport SK5 7BR * Telephone 0845 166 8119 *

Copyright © 2014 Single with Kids.
All rights reserved.