Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Comfortable living  (Read 5311 times)

Offline Ms_wormwood

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
Comfortable living
« on: June 30, 2014, 11:38:48 AM »
The headline is missleading, it's actually comfortable living, not basic need, but this is an interesting read.
http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/jun/30/couple-two-children-earn-basic-needs?commentpage=1
It also says that a single parent with one child needs to be on £27K
Seems like a mightily lot to me. Before I left the UK (in 2011) I was on slightly more, which was great as I could afford to pay for those frivolous extras such as divorce, and I was able to save some money and pay off the last of my student loan.... I would say that we were comfortable....
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:39:02 AM by Ms_wormwood »
Onwards and upwards.

Offline Foggy

• trainee
Re: Comfortable living
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 12:51:36 PM »
Hmmm -- had it not been for George and the last few years of cuts (being a public servant) I would be a few grand short of the £27k they think I need --- in reality, however, I am much further below that now!

That said, me and the little'un rub along quite nicely and can afford luxuries, as well as save a little --- on £27k we'd be in heaven  :)

Offline debs2702

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 01:48:16 PM »
Like anything it depends on outgoings and incomings.   You could afford to live like a pig in clover if you earned a low wage, had a low mortgage/rent, worked on your doorstep and lived on a farm whereas my reality is different.   I pay over £3,000 just to get to work each day and that's without any other expenses like running the car, mortgage etc etc!!  Each person's circumstances will be unique and different.
If life deals you lemons, make lemonade!!

Offline Foggy

• trainee
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 02:01:23 PM »
Very true Debs -- I live in a rural area and work from home. I guess the figures quoted are slewed by the inclusion of highly expensive areas and associated costs.

That all said, it is true that all of us have fallen way behind in spending power, over the last few years -- let us hope it all recovers.

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 07:48:29 AM »
It always amazes me when the quote figures like it costs £300k to raise a child etc....  It all depends on sooo many factors.  How you live is one thing, but where - you can get a house in parts of the North East for a tenth of a small flat in London.

That said, if I'd ever had any idea of how much money I wouldn't have when I had kids, I'd have started saving years ago....

Silky x
A positive mental attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"

Offline WT4

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • There's Only One
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 12:23:42 PM »
you can get a house in parts of the North East for a tenth of a small flat in London.

... with work and salary expectations to match.

There's also the poor travel infrastructure (and associated personal transport costs) to consider.
Two things we give our children: roots & wings

Offline Ms_wormwood

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 10:30:31 PM »
Yeah. i get paid shed loads her compared to the UK, but living costs shed loads too. A small jar of marmite is c£6.70, for example. London weighting is OK, but there is no Edinburgh orOxford weighting.
Onwards and upwards.

Single Parent Holidays in the UK and Overseas. Single With Kids offers the widest range of breaks and holidays for single parents, from camping with kids and value breaks through to all inclusive overseas resorts and adventure holidays. Our destinations range from the Lakes through to Lapland, Center Parcs to Tunisia. All Single With Kids Holidays are in group settings with the focus on fun and friendship. Everyone is a single parent family with children aged from babies through to teenagers, and mums and dads from all backgrounds.*Single With Kids Ltd * Greg Street, Stockport SK5 7BR * Telephone 0845 166 8119 *

Copyright © 2014 Single with Kids.
All rights reserved.