Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Waterproofing for beginners  (Read 3461 times)

Offline Purplejay

• trainee
Waterproofing for beginners
« on: May 12, 2014, 10:26:38 PM »
Hi all

My tent, a Gelert Atlantis 4, has now done 4 weekend trips involving either light showers (the first 2) or torrential downpours (the last 2).

I have never done anything in the way of waterproofing and was thinking maybe I should!

Luckily no leaks so far  :)

Any suggestions gratefully received. What do you do / should you do - how often/when - and do you do it?

Thanks.
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain"

Offline WT4

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • There's Only One
Re: Waterproofing for beginners
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 12:05:14 AM »
Nikwax or Fabsil - spray or brush on

or ... pretty much any silicone spray if you're just running across a few seams and zips
Two things we give our children: roots & wings

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 10:57:44 AM »
Were you influenced by a wet weekend in the Peaks by any chance Purplejay? :-)

Silky x
A positive mental attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"

Offline Stuart

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 01:20:42 PM »
I use Nikwax, but it really depends how old your tent is, certainly won't need doing if fairly new.

I have just waterproofed mine after 3 years of having the tent.

Stuart
Laughter is always the best medicine, unless your a diabetic then insulin works better.

Offline Pearl

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 02:31:38 PM »
I was wondering about this too. I will add it to my To Do list.
"There will be little rubs and disappointments everywhere, and we are all apt to expect too much; but then, if one scheme of happiness fails, human nature turns to another; if the first calculation is wrong, we make a second better: we find comfort somewhere."   --Jane Austen

Offline lostandfound

• SWK Member
  • addict
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 04:24:43 PM »
Fabsil is easy to apply and does the job. After just four outings your tent shouldn't need doing 
on another planet or so I'm told

Offline Purplejay

• trainee
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 05:52:56 PM »
Absolutely Silky  :D

After lying there listening to the wind whistling and rain lashing down I am super impressed with my tent! Not a drip on the inside. Its still wet through though. Am off work tomorrow so hopefully will be able to get it outside.

Thanks guys. Should be ok for this year then. Will get some 'stuff' for the start of next year.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain"

Single Parent Holidays in the UK and Overseas. Single With Kids offers the widest range of breaks and holidays for single parents, from camping with kids and value breaks through to all inclusive overseas resorts and adventure holidays. Our destinations range from the Lakes through to Lapland, Center Parcs to Tunisia. All Single With Kids Holidays are in group settings with the focus on fun and friendship. Everyone is a single parent family with children aged from babies through to teenagers, and mums and dads from all backgrounds.*Single With Kids Ltd * Greg Street, Stockport SK5 7BR * Telephone 0845 166 8119 *

Copyright © 2014 Single with Kids.
All rights reserved.