Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Need to extend...  (Read 5018 times)

Offline Purplejay

• trainee
Need to extend...
« on: September 16, 2013, 09:55:39 PM »
Hi All

Well our 3 summer camps went great in the Gelert Atlantis 4. However I may have been a little conservative with the size in panicking about putting it up alone. Also when it rains, it rains in when you have the door open as the front door has quite a slope and when it has been raining and you unzip the door, it falls in along with puddles of water!

I was thinking of getting an extension for it but the canopy/porch for both this and the hi gear rock 4 (same tent apparently), is open ended and has no door - something I didn't realise when I bought the tent. The Gelert one is longer than the hi gear but is nearly twice the price everywhere I can find it at the moment and more than I paid for the tent at £120.

So, will it matter if there is no door on the canopy? I think the hi gear one will be to short to be of much benefit (though it would still solve my raining in problem) so it will be a case of trying to get the gelert one cheaper and keeping a look out.

If I want a door, then maybe I need a different tent... If I get a bigger tent, do I still need the porch...? Decisions decisions!

As usual not wanting to spend a fortune and looking for a bargain!

I really like the idea of having an extension area to put shoes and a kitchen (also on my shopping list) as this would mean I could get a carpet for the living area and not be walking in the muck/wet!

Off to do a bit more research - any thoughts? Anyone spotted any great bargains as we reach the end of the camping season?

Can't wait for spring :)

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain"

Offline Purplejay

• trainee
Re: Need to extend...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 09:04:15 AM »
Anyone got or have experience of Colemans tents?

Thanks.
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain"

Offline Deborah43

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 11:49:29 AM »
Hiya.  I've no experience of the tent you have but have a similar one, a Vango, that without the porch has a sloping front (why are they designed that way?  it makes no sense really) and I do have a porch that is open. 

I've improvised and used a wind-break across the front of my porch when the weather has gotten wet and that works pretty well in keeping the worst of the weather out.  It also means that in drizzly weather you get a bit of protection but aren't completely closed off to the world.

I love my porch - I keep all of the cooking gear out there and set up kitchen in there, can sit there and eat and as you say keep the wellies and shoes and stuff out there.  I do however have a bigger tent than yours, mine is a 600 so is a 6 person tent and for three of us it's awesome.  So I would say that if you don't want to completely change your tent just yet keep an eye out and invest - an open porch is definitely better than no porch at all.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."

Offline Purplejay

• trainee
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 02:40:32 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I think I may be getting carried away :)

I have found that Gelert do a universal small porch (not that small) with a door and can get a green one for £70 which is great except my tent is blue! Not sure if I mind to much though.

Might get it and then keep an eye out for a blue one and resell it if I find one. Not sue they've made blue ones as my tent is the older colour scheme.

Then I just need a kitchen unit, carpet, footprint, table... Lol!

Offline Deborah43

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 03:58:25 PM »
It'd be worth Googling around and checking out the tent vendors on Ebay to see if a blue one comes up if you want to match it up, I'm sure there would have been a porch option - the point of the extras is the money they make from us needing a way to keep the rain out!
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."

Offline Purplejay

• trainee
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 05:26:20 PM »
I went for the green porch - at least our tent will be easy to find! Also got a table for a tenner and another lantern. Arrived today and all good.

On the lookout for a cheap camping kitchen on ebay and then a carpet and I am about there :)

Single Parent Holidays in the UK and Overseas. Single With Kids offers the widest range of breaks and holidays for single parents, from camping with kids and value breaks through to all inclusive overseas resorts and adventure holidays. Our destinations range from the Lakes through to Lapland, Center Parcs to Tunisia. All Single With Kids Holidays are in group settings with the focus on fun and friendship. Everyone is a single parent family with children aged from babies through to teenagers, and mums and dads from all backgrounds.*Single With Kids Ltd * Greg Street, Stockport SK5 7BR * Telephone 0845 166 8119 *

Copyright © 2014 Single with Kids.
All rights reserved.