Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Just back from our first ever camping trip :-) few questions  (Read 3963 times)

Offline katie_girl

• trainee
We've not long got home from our first ever camping trip, I'm currently looking up sites and avoiding unpacking the car!  We had a great weekend, helped no doubt by the glorious weather.

I have a Vango Icarus 500 which I am assured is perfectly suited to single handed pitching.  However I did have a lot of help from my friend's teenage son this time (took it down myself though!).  I just have a few questions

1. What order should the pegs be put in? We put the poles all through first, then clipped them so it was upright, then pegged down the sides where the poles are.  I think maybe we should have done the corners first?

2. In the packet there were the right number of pegs but 4 were bigger, are these meant for the corners? Are they crucial?  They were really hard to get out!

3. How on earth do you manage if its windy!?!

4. There's a small rip in the mesh on the side door.  If I can't find the receipt how can I repair this?

5. Any cool-box recommendations?  Does this really stay cold for 5 days? http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/50qt-extreme-wheeled-cooler-p1754051

Offline WT4

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • There's Only One
Re: Just back from our first ever camping trip :-) few questions
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 06:41:27 PM »
Vango Icarus 500 [...] a few questions

Check on youtube - most tents have plenty enough pitching guides.
Two things we give our children: roots & wings

Offline Mand

• Coordinator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 08:27:11 PM »
I had an Icarus 500 for a long time .... To answer your questions ....

Yes thread the poles first but don't clip them in

Peg the back 2 corners with the big pegs

Clip in the poles

Them once they are clipped in shuffle the tent forward from back to front making sure each section is taught at the bottom. Once you've done that peg front 2 corners. Pegging the from 2 guy ropes will keep it upright. Then peg the rest of the tent.

The mesh ..... Ring the shop u for it from they're be able to mend it for you or send it away.

In windy condition ..... Get assistance lol

I have the 35l Coleman extreme ... Cost about £55 and is brill. Really is worth the money. Most mine has lasted is 4 days. 

Hope that helps x

Offline katie_girl

• trainee
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 09:16:12 PM »
Great thank you Mandy!  The 48l box is actually cheaper than the 35l on GOoutdoors site at the moment and  4 days is still pretty good.  I feel like it would be a worthwhile investment!

I did watch several videos before we went WT4, and then promptly forgot everything other than how to fix the poles at the bottom.  :-\ never was a much of a visual learner!

Ooh so many exclamation marks is a few sentences, its because I'm very excited about camping this summer, I'm so pleased we enjoyed it, have wanted to get a tent for a couple of years.

Offline CampingKT

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 09:26:39 PM »
Another Katy and a fellow camping fan, hope to meet you at Wicksteed, if you're coming. I'm considering one of those cool boxes as well x x

Offline katie_girl

• trainee
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 10:30:14 PM »
 ;D yep we're planning on going to Wicksteed, can't wait. 

My real name isn't Katie though, its a sex and the city/the way we were reference!

Offline Papa Smurf

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 10:32:07 PM »
I also have the Coleman Extreme 35l and agree with everything Mand says. All I do is get 2 bags of ice from the supermarket and put them in the bottom.

Offline katie_girl

• trainee
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 03:57:32 PM »
Eek this weekend will be our first camping trip without helpful friends, in Scotland. I hope the weather is kind to us and we manage the tent with Mandy's tips!

I bought one of those cool boxes so will be trying that out at the weekend as well.  I'm about to book Wicksteed as well.

Offline CampingKT

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 09:22:45 PM »
Hi Katie I got one too just last weekend and also trying it for the first time this weekend at a little festival. Good luck hope you have a lovely time and the weather in Scotland and Norfolk is kind to us.

Single Parent Holidays in the UK and Overseas. Single With Kids offers the widest range of breaks and holidays for single parents, from camping with kids and value breaks through to all inclusive overseas resorts and adventure holidays. Our destinations range from the Lakes through to Lapland, Center Parcs to Tunisia. All Single With Kids Holidays are in group settings with the focus on fun and friendship. Everyone is a single parent family with children aged from babies through to teenagers, and mums and dads from all backgrounds.*Single With Kids Ltd * Greg Street, Stockport SK5 7BR * Telephone 0845 166 8119 *

Copyright © 2014 Single with Kids.
All rights reserved.