Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Advice please, Gas Lantern or Battery one?  (Read 7684 times)

Offline CampingKT

• SWK Member
  • trainee
Advice please, Gas Lantern or Battery one?
« on: June 01, 2013, 10:12:01 PM »
Hi camping experts just about to order a lantern want a really decent one lots of light so I can see what's going on rather than my torches that just give a tiny patch of light would be good to be able to read by it when I am camping on my own gives me something to do in the evenings (while drinking my wine!).
So is a gas lantern best? or a battery one or are they the same really.
Thanks for your help x x

I am so excited for the camping to start not too long now till New Forest!

Offline jezzy

• SWK Member
  • trainee
Re: Advice please, Gas Lantern or Battery one?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 10:56:15 PM »
Hi

Not sure about gas lanterns, never used one.

But I would recommend the LED light I got from Argos whilst on the Cotswold camp.I had some work to do in the evenings and the standard camp lamp wasn't really good enough to read by for any length of time. Popped into Argos with the intention of getting an extra lamp, but picked up this LED light, for about £5, they've got a sale on at minute

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9275070.htm

It is flat, can be hung from roof of tent , and has 2 brightness settings. Lit up the whole tent really well. Takes 3AA batteries. Downside is no good to carry around, for late night toilet trips etc

Offline Purplejay

• trainee
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 11:36:16 PM »
I would go for battery as less of a faff.

Maybe gas ones have improved but the one I had years so had a glass shade and we were worried about knocking it over all the time. We did eventually! Only used it outside and not in the tent.

I have just bought a cheap LED lantern and will see how bright it is before we go. Might get another or some thing else. Depends how bright it is, although it would be good to have one in the bedroom and one in the living area. I have some of those outdoor candles that you stick in the ground for use outside and will take a torch.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain"

Offline WT4

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • There's Only One
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 12:41:51 AM »
LED lamps every time - they are available with hooks, magnets, handles, etc. and come in a variety of shapes and sizes to suit - rechargeable is good - ours charge on the way to site and are rarely used up by the time we go home.

Useful to have at least one lamp/torch per person.

For large groups and gatherings something a bit more powerful can help - tilly lamps are good but they run on petrol these days I think (used to be parafin).  They have the same glass issues mentioned above - also, any lamp that burns liquid/gas fuel will have a mantle and these become a little delicate when hot.
Two things we give our children: roots & wings

Offline littlemissfun

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 02:40:44 PM »
I got two cheap (poundland!!!) lanterns about two years ago, they are fantastic and great to read by. Just beacause it is cheap doesn't mean its going to be no good.
They also have a handle so great for toilet visits too.

When I first started out I brought a wind up lantern, what a load of rubbish, its sat in the cupboard ever since, wouldn't buy another one of those again.
Not tried gas lanterns so can't comment.
If you obey all the rules you miss out on all the fun!!!
Wouldn't it be nice if the world was flat then we could push off people we didn't like!

Offline CampingKT

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 09:47:34 PM »
Thanks everyone so much for your advice, think I will try to get that one in Argos and might also visit poundland see if they have those lanterns as can afford one or maybe even 2 of those as well. My tent will be visable from miles away!
Also loving the garden candle idea god my camping list is growing and growing. How am I going to remember everything and get it all in the car?

Katy x x

Offline annie76

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 10:40:40 PM »
Dad has Tilley lamps and they worry me in case they get knocked over, the glass gets really hot ! I have a small lawn mower battery with an led light attached via a 12v cigarette lead that someone made for me. plus little torches.
BRITISH RED CROSS - FIRE AND EMERGENCY SUPPORT SERVICE

Offline CampingKT

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 09:39:58 PM »
I bought the LED light from Argos it's great thanks to Jezzy for the recommendation. Unfortunately no lanterns in Poundland and they wouldn't let me buy the enamel mugs they had some issue with them that they couldn't tell me. Did buy an instant light log looks good perfect for getting a little campfire going, a washing line with pegs, 2 disposable bbq's and 19 other items whoops!
I so need to sort out how I can attend next weekend can't wait till New Forest now! x x

Offline Deborah43

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 09:53:02 PM »
Thing is, when it comes to bits and bobs that can be stashed inside other things it all comes in handy, even if someone needs to borrow something. 
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."

Offline CampingKT

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 10:15:48 PM »
Bits and bobs are great! and I wonder why my daughter has such a passion for little bits! and bags! x x

Single Parent Holidays in the UK and Overseas. Single With Kids offers the widest range of breaks and holidays for single parents, from camping with kids and value breaks through to all inclusive overseas resorts and adventure holidays. Our destinations range from the Lakes through to Lapland, Center Parcs to Tunisia. All Single With Kids Holidays are in group settings with the focus on fun and friendship. Everyone is a single parent family with children aged from babies through to teenagers, and mums and dads from all backgrounds.*Single With Kids Ltd * Greg Street, Stockport SK5 7BR * Telephone 0845 166 8119 *

Copyright © 2014 Single with Kids.
All rights reserved.