Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: What our children think of SWK  (Read 8221 times)

Offline LAK

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
What our children think of SWK
« on: September 14, 2012, 08:39:59 PM »
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 08:58:35 PM by LAK »
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline Cushion Plumper

• SWK Member
  • addict
  • Life is a journey - not a destination.
Re: What our children think of SWK
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 09:03:54 PM »
That's brilliant and a great credit to SWK.  I often wonder if Silky sometimes wonders what she's taken on when she set this up, but to read something like this must surely make it all worthwhile.

I'm looking forward to my second trip with SWK which will be at Hargate in November and I'm also going to book one of the New Year ones.  I'm hoping my son will also look forward to them and enjoy them and look forward to more (he's not very good at mixing and a bit of a loner).

Happy childhood memories are priceless.  I read somewhere once that we all have what is called
'significant memories' of our childhood but will only recall a maximum of 10.  When I did this I could recount 7 significant memories (always the same ones) that stand out.  If you think about it, only 10 significant memories over a period of 16 years is not much, so for some of those to be SWK memories is certainly impactive.

What a lovely idea for your children to come up with, and Happy Birthday xx
It doesn't matter where you go in life, what you do or how much you have; it's who you have beside you...

Offline Ellyb

• beyond all hope !
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 02:02:40 PM »
I bought a lovely little picture thing in summer it simpley says "the best things we can give our children are good memories!"

SWk certainly helps to form a few of those!

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 04:59:52 PM »
She said that she physically can't picture what our lives would have been like without SWK.

Such a touching post LAK and I feel totally humbled reading it (and can't help a little tear or two). When we first set out pulling together our website in 2007 we had no idea of the scope of Single With Kids or the role it could possibly play in helping families bounce back after separation.  When I look at Facebook friends it reminds me how widespread this has reached at times, with many people's friends lists dominated by friends they've made at SWK, whether on our holidays or their own get togethers on the forum.

It's heart warming to read the posts on the forum and see the steps made by so many who initially came here in tatters, it's even more so to read the feedback from the children - we're so very, very proud to think we've actually made a difference somewhere along the line.

Silky x

A positive mental attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 05:01:50 PM »
p.s. I forgot to say, we can't take all the credit for this... You get out what you put in and for every parent who jumps in with both feet and rebuilds a new, single parent shaped social life, there are some waiting in the wings daunted at the challenge.  I sincerely hope that posts like this will help convince them to make the move, there's so much to gain, both for themselves and their children.  x
A positive mental attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"

Offline helleshine

• trainee
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 03:20:03 AM »
yes we are very grateful for having the op to be part of swk i have made some true friends and effort does pay off, 2 years ago we hardly went out  and i would have never thought id be part of an amazing group  going around taliking to people,just to think that first nf camp tiny tent not a clue shaking mess to us making lots of friends , so many thank chrissey  :) x

Offline LAK

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 08:30:03 PM »
The other day I was chatting with my 5 year old about her leaving home when she's older and she got upset because she doesn't want to live on her own.  I told her that she could live with me as long as she wants but that she'll probably want to leave at some point.  That didn't make her feel any better so I said that she'll probably get married so she won't be living on her own.

She looked at me horrified and said "But I want to be SWK"

Oops, I think we single parents and our children must be having far too much fun  ;D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 10:41:51 PM by LAK »
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline WT4

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • There's Only One
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 11:47:22 PM »
She looked at me horrified and said "But I want to be SWK"

Oops, I think we single parents and our children must be having far too much fun  ;D

Ha Ha - well, that is the plan ain't it.
Two things we give our children: roots & wings

Offline Miss Sunshine

• trainee
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 11:15:23 PM »
My girls love SWK, it has changed their lives.  We now have a group of positive people who surround me with support and love and in turn that makes their lives richer  ;D

Offline irishcraftylass

• trainee
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 09:50:23 PM »
SWK certainly helped me and Rosie get back on our feet!  x

Offline HAPPYJANE

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 12:16:54 PM »
Keep up the good work SWK, the work you do here is awesome, I have learnt so much on this forum!

Offline Blue Sky

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 06:55:58 PM »
I am sure I have posted this somewhere on here before but..... our first ever camping trip was with SWK, our second camping trip a couple of months later was just the two of us at a holiday park.  As we were leaving, we were having a chat about the holiday and my then 5yr daughter said "can we not camp with normal people next time.  I only want to camp with SWK."

There is a compliment in there somewhere  ;D
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Offline CB2

• Coordinator.
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 07:24:16 PM »
I am sure I have said this on numerous occasions but my son at age 15 (- 5 days) would not holiday any other way.

He has met so many people and funnily enough not really stayed in touch with any of them, but when they turn up on another holiday it is as if he has known them all his life.  He remembers most of the kids he has met along the way and always asks to see the list as soon as it is out to check out who he knows and of course what age they are.
Life is what you make it.

Offline SM2

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 08:52:28 PM »
A couple of weekends ago was our first camp back with SWK after 5/6 years away from it all.

Madam absolutely loved it, although we took a school friend with us, she loved meeting back up with a couple of the lads that she remembered from previously and cannot wait for the next one in June :-)

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 11:21:09 AM »
We really should update this with some of our most recent testimonials, we've had some great feedback. I suspect a number of the kids mentioned on this thread are now adults, did it really start 7 years ago?!!!

Silky x

Single Parent Holidays in the UK and Overseas. Single With Kids offers the widest range of breaks and holidays for single parents, from camping with kids and value breaks through to all inclusive overseas resorts and adventure holidays. Our destinations range from the Lakes through to Lapland, Center Parcs to Tunisia. All Single With Kids Holidays are in group settings with the focus on fun and friendship. Everyone is a single parent family with children aged from babies through to teenagers, and mums and dads from all backgrounds.*Single With Kids Ltd * Greg Street, Stockport SK5 7BR * Telephone 0845 166 8119 *

Copyright © 2014 Single with Kids.
All rights reserved.