Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Moderation in all things .... except moderation.  (Read 5191 times)

Offline WT4

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • There's Only One
Moderation in all things .... except moderation.
« on: August 17, 2012, 02:56:52 PM »
Maybe this should be in "is it reasonable" ...

Surely the role of a moderator is to moderate, which probably means to caution where appropriate, edit where necessary and delete as a last resort ... but never without explanation.

To remove an entire thread seems somewhat similar to throwing the toys out of the pram - or perhaps akin to a child picking up their ball and going home when the game doesn't go their way.

There were some very strong points made in a thread earlier today, some made from points of view that I may not agree with but not only do I respect the right of those posters to make their point I also value and appreciate the time & effort they put into posting.

I am not going to raise the issues again - that is for others, those who care more about them than I do.  However I am disappointed that a serious thread raising what are obviously important issues has been entirely swept under the virtual carpet.
Two things we give our children: roots & wings

Offline lulubird

• trainee
Re: Moderation in all things .... except moderation.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 03:04:44 PM »
HEAR, HEAR!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 03:06:39 PM by lulubird »

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 03:05:28 PM »
When a thread has the potential to be really hurtful for some then it needs removing. This was getting to the point of telling people to holiday elsewhere, or saying they weren't real single parents (and before anyone says anything, this came from both sides). Not nice, not supportive and it can only lead in one direction.

Silky x
A positive mental attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 03:08:48 PM »
Surely the role of a moderator is to moderate, which probably means to caution where appropriate, edit where necessary and delete as a last resort ... but never without explanation.
?
The explanation http://www.singlewithkids.co.uk/forum/general-chat-trivia/thread-deleted/msg281319/#msg281319

As some of the oldies on here know, this topic raises its head from time to time and ends up in fall outs. It was heading a lot quicker down that route this time.

Silky x
A positive mental attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"

Offline STH

• part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 03:10:24 PM »
See:

http://www.singlewithkids.co.uk/forum/general-chat-trivia/thread-deleted/

I did not follow this particular thread, but I too was very cross when one to which I'd contributed disappeared a while back. 

Having said that, it's very easy to write something on the spur of the moment, when you're annoyed, which you later regret - by which time it's too late.  Hmmmm, reminds me of some interactions with the ex!
:)

The forum is generally very, very supportive - and most people are able to disagree without necessarily getting upset, and my guess is that Chrissie has taken this thread down to stop matters getting worse.

It has to be a difficult judgement to make because, as you point out, it's censorship.  I don't agree with censorship, but as an outsider (i.e. not having read the thread, and without making any judgement about anyone) I can see the sense in the action .

Peter

Maybe this should be in "is it reasonable" ...

To remove an entire thread seems somewhat similar to throwing the toys out of the pram - or perhaps akin to a child picking up their ball and going home when the game doesn't go their way.

There were some very strong points made in a thread earlier today, some made from points of view that I may not agree with but not only do I respect the right of those posters to make their point I also value and appreciate the time & effort they put into posting.

I am not going to raise the issues again - that is for others, those who care more about them than I do.  However I am disappointed that a serious thread raising what are obviously important issues has been entirely swept under the virtual carpet.
Two wrongs don't make a left

Offline MichealP

• addict
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 03:19:52 PM »
When a thread has the potential to be really hurtful for some then it needs removing. This was getting to the point of telling people to holiday elsewhere, or saying they weren't real single parents (and before anyone says anything, this came from both sides). Not nice, not supportive and it can only lead in one direction.

Silky x
Surely then it is more appropriate to tackle those individual members instead of deleting an entire thread?

Offline WT4

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • There's Only One
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 03:28:58 PM »
Thanks for your responses.

I know and understand the resons for moderation on a forum.

I cannot accept that removing the entire thread was the best approach for a host of reasons ... including that the thread in question encouraged at least one new contributor to join in.

One possible alternative ...

# Lock the thread
# edit the offending comment(s)
# add a post to the end of the thread explaining what has been done ... and very specifically: why

That way you have the <censored> thread in the same place as a clear explanation of why the discussion didn't continue.

I feel sorry for those that had clearly taken effort and considerable time in some cases to make their points - even those I disagree with.  It may be hoping in vain to expect them to make so much effort with their next contribution ... if any.

Offline STH

• part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 03:31:05 PM »

I agree entirely, but I think what happened here is that Chrissie didn't provide the explanation immediately

As I said, I haven't read the thread, but from what I understand Chrissie wasn't the one who was upset or was upsetting others, and if that's the case then the analogy isn't really fitting. 

However, in removing all of the posts she has removed the useful ones as well as the ones that upset people - but I guess she was between a rock and a hard place here.

With regard to tackling individuals, that then sets up its own problems inasmuch as she would have had to have made judgements about individuals, and that is arguably a worse form of 'thought control'.

Whilst I'm very much opposed to censorship in general, I can see that Chrissie's action was probably the lesser of two evils, inasmuch as matters could have got worse had she done nothing.  With that in mind, can anyone think of any other way of calling a halt to a thread when matters get heated and people get really upset? 

Peter
Two wrongs don't make a left

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 04:08:04 PM »
  With that in mind, can anyone think of any other way of calling a halt to a thread when matters get heated and people get really upset? 

Peter

Funnily enough I was involved in a heated exchange on another forum, which had a worryingly BNP flavour to it. The mods locked it, but in mid debate so the one who had the racist views had the last word. That was more irritating than had it been deleted completely to be honest as it somehow gave credibility to his views.

Silky x

Offline WT4

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • There's Only One
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 04:18:24 PM »

judgements about individuals

A moderator would (should?) know that one is only interested in the words themselves - not the people that wrote them.

Chrissie's action

I was hoping this would remain impersonal and general - the name of the moderator in question isn't relevant except in a discussion about a particular thread.

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 01:32:34 PM »
A moderator would (should?) know that one is only interested in the words themselves - not the people that wrote them.

I think you know yourself that this one was getting out of hand and been taken personally by a number rather than just being seen as a debate.

Would I be a cynic to think you wanted to let it run in the faint hope there'd be some mud wrestling at Wicksteed?   ;-)

Silky x

Offline WT4

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • There's Only One
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 03:12:57 PM »
this one was getting out of hand and been taken personally by a number rather than just being seen as a debate.

which in itself is fairly silly, but it's happened before and it will happen again

Would I be a cynic to think you wanted to let it run in the faint hope there'd be some mud wrestling at Wicksteed?   ;-)

Realistic rather than cynical - the hose pipe ban has been lifted, I see no reason to avoid the inevitable.  My money's on Mand

Offline Ms_wormwood

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 03:33:54 PM »
ye gods, I go away for one week and look what happens.
Now, everybody, shake hands and be friends.

::)
Onwards and upwards.

Single Parent Holidays in the UK and Overseas. Single With Kids offers the widest range of breaks and holidays for single parents, from camping with kids and value breaks through to all inclusive overseas resorts and adventure holidays. Our destinations range from the Lakes through to Lapland, Center Parcs to Tunisia. All Single With Kids Holidays are in group settings with the focus on fun and friendship. Everyone is a single parent family with children aged from babies through to teenagers, and mums and dads from all backgrounds.*Single With Kids Ltd * Greg Street, Stockport SK5 7BR * Telephone 0845 166 8119 *

Copyright © 2014 Single with Kids.
All rights reserved.