Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Tent Advice  (Read 8077 times)

Offline SallyL

• SWK Member
  • trainee
Tent Advice
« on: May 17, 2012, 03:10:58 PM »
I am in the market for a new tent and really struggling to decided what to buy.  I have a few  ::) requirements including 2 pods  and big enough to accomodate 4 people and a dog, standing height, and area for kitchen etc.  Think I would like a sewn in ground sheet as well.   The down side my budget is very tight and I am reluctant to get another 2nd hand tent.

I have my eye on the Hi Gear Mojave 5 (top end of my budget).  I am open to suggestions as I am actually finding this more difficult than when I have bought houses! 
“A snowball in the face is surely the perfect beginning to a lasting friendship.”
― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

Offline WT4

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • There's Only One
Re: Tent Advice
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 03:21:09 PM »
I'm guessing that any Vango that fulfills the requirements is priced out - take a peek at eurohike perhaps

Avoid any ebay looks-too-good-to-be-true offer
Two things we give our children: roots & wings

Offline Stuart

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 03:21:29 PM »
I have a Gelert Horizon 6 if that is any good, it is also Identical to the Hi Gear Zenobia which you can find in Go Outdoors. They are a really good tent, plenty of room and easy to get it up :)

Gives you options anyway.

Stuart

edit forgot the links sorry:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-zenobia-6-p148235

http://www.charliesdirect.co.uk/products/gelert-horizon-6-man-person-camping-tent

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 03:23:52 PM by Stuart »
Laughter is always the best medicine, unless your a diabetic then insulin works better.

Offline Ellyb

• beyond all hope !
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 03:46:17 PM »
The Hi Gear Rock is nice as well, depend on the size of your 4 people and Dog though! I looked at both the Mojave and the Rock...both very good tents and forfil your needs.

I have a larger Hi gear tent and its great, had it 2 years and it hard wearing.

Offline SallyL

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 04:40:09 PM »
I was in 2 mins about the Hi Gear tents as they are cheap compared to others and I have made this mistake before.   I have also seen in Outdoor World a Aztec that is on offer with carpet for £129.  but I can not find any reference to the HH of the flysheet  ???
“A snowball in the face is surely the perfect beginning to a lasting friendship.”

Offline Ellyb

• beyond all hope !
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 05:12:09 PM »
A hi gear 3000 HH tent is a gelert with a different badge on - they are as good as gelerts and gelert accessories and spare parts generally fit, so if you snap a pole in cornwall you can easily get a spare.

The Aztec is 3000hh according to the website - looks good!

Offline Ellyb

• beyond all hope !
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 05:13:35 PM »
If you can put up with your tent this weekend, have a wander round and look at everyones tent, its the best way! 

Offline Mand

• Coordinator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 08:07:33 PM »
i was just going to suggest the same ....a swk camp is better than any camp show ....you see them being lived in and see wether they are practical for you and your brood.

by the time you leave you will have tent envy and a shopping list the length of your arm lol

;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline gemini

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 08:55:28 PM »
I am in the market for a new tent and really struggling to decided what to buy.  I have a few  ::) requirements including 2 pods  and big enough to accomodate 4 people and a dog, standing height, and area for kitchen etc.  Think I would like a sewn in ground sheet as well.   The down side my budget is very tight and I am reluctant to get another 2nd hand tent.

I have my eye on the Hi Gear Mojave 5 (top end of my budget).  I am open to suggestions as I am actually finding this more difficult than when I have bought houses!

i have got a leaflet from go outdoors and the hi gear mojave 5 is on offer at 129.99 from 21 to 27 May.  i have my eye on one

Offline SallyL

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 09:14:57 PM »
Thanks everyone - think I will do as suggested and take a peak at others tent this weekend  :o  Might hold out for the Mojave5 thanks for that tip Gemini... How I have missed that I dont know, spent every lunch time browsing websites for tents for weeks.

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 09:39:23 PM »
Campsites are the best/ worst place for looking at tents - your wish list will just get bigger....and bigger....  I never fail to come back from Callow Top with a shopping list, I've been fighting the calling of GoOutdoors and Decathlon as all my money's going on the van, but no doubt I'll see something I must have.

I really, really fancy a Cadac (gas barbecue thingy), perhaps for the Norfolk trip.

Silky x
A positive mental attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"

Offline WT4

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • There's Only One
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 09:56:27 PM »
I really, really fancy a Cadac (gas barbecue thingy), perhaps for the Norfolk trip.

Those are fantastic - do it :)
Two things we give our children: roots & wings

Offline Run DM&C

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 11:32:52 PM »
Pricepounder on the Euroway estate just off M606 had some really good offers in a couple of weeks ago. May be worth checking what they still have if you're not fixed up yet Sally

Gelert Nemesis 8 for £129
Gelert Evora 8 berth including porch, footprint & fitted carpet for £199
'Life should  NOT  be a journey to the grave with the intention of  arriving  safely in an attractive and well preserved  body, but rather  to skid in sideways -   Chardonnay   in one  hand - chocolate in  the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and   screaming 'WOO  HOO, What a  Ride

Offline SallyL

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 11:45:28 PM »
thanks for that. but I got a Mojave 5  from go outdoors at the weekend.     I am going to start saving up for the footprint and porch.    Not sure about the carpet as the dogs hairs will stick!

never hear of Pricepounder, and I am normally on the ball with discount places.  Hey ho

Offline Sujo

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 05:40:16 PM »
Good choice ..... but then I'm biased  ;D

Single Parent Holidays in the UK and Overseas. Single With Kids offers the widest range of breaks and holidays for single parents, from camping with kids and value breaks through to all inclusive overseas resorts and adventure holidays. Our destinations range from the Lakes through to Lapland, Center Parcs to Tunisia. All Single With Kids Holidays are in group settings with the focus on fun and friendship. Everyone is a single parent family with children aged from babies through to teenagers, and mums and dads from all backgrounds.*Single With Kids Ltd * Greg Street, Stockport SK5 7BR * Telephone 0845 166 8119 *

Copyright © 2014 Single with Kids.
All rights reserved.