Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide  (Read 5262 times)

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide
« on: March 15, 2012, 08:41:26 PM »
Another death from carbon monoxide on a camping trip - a couple brought their barbecue indoors into their camping pod for warmth.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/mar/14/man-dies-carbon-monoxide-camping?newsfeed=true

So easily done without realising the dangers. We've occasionally used our little heater in our tent before bedtime, I've got to confess I really don't know exactly how long these things can run before becoming a danger - quite scary really. We've now got a carbon monoxide detector for the van.

Silky x
A positive mental attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"

Offline That Brummie

• Coordinator
  • addict
Re: The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 09:54:03 PM »
How sad  :(

Another point is that it's not just inside the tent that can be a problem, BBQ's left burning near to tents can also cause a problem with carbon monoxide so everyone needs to make sure their BBQ is out completely once finished.

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 10:26:04 PM »
I've made a mental note to add this to an info sheet to hand out on our camping trips - we have so many new campers on each trip, it's worth mentioning. To old campers too for that matter.

Silky x
A positive mental attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"

Offline That Brummie

• Coordinator
  • addict
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 11:47:41 AM »
I've made a mental note to add this to an info sheet to hand out on our camping trips - we have so many new campers on each trip, it's worth mentioning. To old campers too for that matter.

Silky x

That's a good idea as it's one of those things that just wouldn't occur to most people. It hadn't crossed my mind until the couple of cases in the news last year.

Offline cherielouise

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 12:04:23 PM »
The best way to heat your bed when camping - same thing we do on the beach to keep our pockets warm for toastie hands - Nice large round stones in the camp fire or bbq until nice and warm. Then pop 'em in the bottom of your sleeping bag. Just like an old fashioned bedwarmer. And a hot smooth rock in your pocket is very therapeutic too!!  :)
Of everything I've lost I miss my mind the most!

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 12:26:18 PM »

That's a good idea as it's one of those things that just wouldn't occur to most people. It hadn't crossed my mind until the couple of cases in the news last year.

Mine neither - shockingly. I've been camping for decades and I have to confess I simply didn't recognise the risk and have probably inadvertently put us in risk in the past with a small gas camping heater - it really doesn't bear thinking about.  Fortunately we only used it for an hour or so at a time but what if we hadn't?  **shudder**

Silky x
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 12:26:55 PM by Silky »

Offline WT4

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • There's Only One
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 12:31:18 PM »
As I understand it there's a considerable difference in the gasses produced by gas burners and BBQs
Two things we give our children: roots & wings

Offline Stuart

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 12:41:05 PM »
I am pretty sure Lost & Found has a catalytic one so would probably be the best person the answer that one. I just use a thick coat when non electric and halogen with ehu.

Stuart
Laughter is always the best medicine, unless your a diabetic then insulin works better.

Offline That Brummie

• Coordinator
  • addict
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 12:52:53 PM »
As I understand it there's a considerable difference in the gasses produced by gas burners and BBQs

You could be right but I wouldn't take the risk.

I've used my gas cooker in the tent to take the edge off the cold before bed sometimes and noticed that it always seemed that the gas was going after 10 mins or so as the flame changed and became very low. I now wonder if this was to do with using it in a confined space as the gas would always seem normal again by the next day.

Offline lostandfound

• SWK Member
  • addict
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 03:04:04 PM »
I am pretty sure Lost & Found has a catalytic one so would probably be the best person the answer that one. I just use a thick coat when non electric and halogen with ehu.

Stuart

Yes i do have a catalytic heater and i do use it inside my tent as a few on here have found out on a cold evening  :).  I would never leave it on all night  or take it into a sleeping pod
Like many on here i also cook inside my awning (spelling?) 
on another planet or so I'm told

Offline SallyL

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 05:56:49 PM »
I have a camping gas heater.  I use it if it is really cold for about 10 mins.  Point it into  my sons sleeping pod (without him in there) so it takes the edge off the cold before he gets into bed.   I would never use either that, or my camping stove without the porch open.

I would recommend anyone using anything gas purchases a carbon monoxide detector ( better to wake the whole campsite, than not wake up)

I think the stones idea is fantastic, never thought of that before.

“A snowball in the face is surely the perfect beginning to a lasting friendship.”
― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

Offline Falcon

• Chris
  • SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 01:38:50 PM »
Just had this emailed to me on the dangers of CO when camping.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=476
"Only one thing make a dream impossible: the fear of failure". Paulo Coelho.

Single Parent Holidays in the UK and Overseas. Single With Kids offers the widest range of breaks and holidays for single parents, from camping with kids and value breaks through to all inclusive overseas resorts and adventure holidays. Our destinations range from the Lakes through to Lapland, Center Parcs to Tunisia. All Single With Kids Holidays are in group settings with the focus on fun and friendship. Everyone is a single parent family with children aged from babies through to teenagers, and mums and dads from all backgrounds.*Single With Kids Ltd * Greg Street, Stockport SK5 7BR * Telephone 0845 166 8119 *

Copyright © 2014 Single with Kids.
All rights reserved.