Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: When did you get the bug?  (Read 8859 times)

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
When did you get the bug?
« on: January 05, 2012, 09:31:51 PM »
When did you get the camping bug? Were you brought up on camping holidays or was it something you discovered only once you were paying for your own breaks?

I never camped with my parents but discovered it with my ex, we bought a tiny tent and set off across Europe. The size of our tents increased as the years went by until we had one the size of a small village -  the 4-5 hours it took to set the whole thing up really did take the enjoyment out of a quick weekend break.

Custody of the tents was never a discussion point when the ex moved out and it was actually refreshing going back to some of our old camping haunts but without the huffing and puffing and tantrums involved when he was around.

Silky x
A positive mental attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"

Offline Dora

• SWK Member..
  • part of the furniture
Re: When did you get the bug?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 09:40:02 PM »
I got the camping bug 2 years ago when I met you lot!
Happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder…”– Thoreau

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 09:45:24 PM »
I got the camping bug 2 years ago when I met you lot!

Were you one of the cynics who'd "camp over my dead body" ??  How I've loved to see some converted and become even more enthusiastic than the rest of us.  ;D

Silky x
A positive mental attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"

Offline Dora

• SWK Member..
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 10:19:41 PM »
Nah, I camped as a kid and then never thought about it since - as soon as Mand, Charlie and Shelley said I should come I thought why not! Not looked back!
Happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder…”– Thoreau

Offline CB2

• Coordinator.
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 11:15:28 PM »
Haven't camped since the very wet and soggy cornwall camp with SWK a few back, but may be tempted this year  :-\
Life is what you make it.

Offline WT4

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • There's Only One
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 11:26:47 PM »
I was 8 - apart from a few years when I was pretending to be grown up I've always owned at least one tent and the wherewithall to brew a cuppa.

Two things we give our children: roots & wings

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 11:28:29 PM »
I was 8 - apart from a few years when I was pretending to be grown up I've always owned at least one tent and the wherewithall to brew a cuppa.

So when did you decide to set up the refugee camps WT4? I've never seen one family take up a pitch the size of a small village.  ;D

Silky x

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 11:31:16 PM »
Haven't camped since the very wet and soggy cornwall camp with SWK a few back, but may be tempted this year  :-\

Yes but didn't we have fun?  ;D   I've fond memories of that week, even if we all ended up being towed off site by the owner. My wellies sprung a leak early in the week and all shops had sold out because of the weather - it really felt like I had trench foot by the end of the holiday, sloshing around in wet wellies isn't the best of comfort.

Silky x

Offline WT4

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • There's Only One
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 11:49:49 PM »

So when did you decide to set up the refugee camps WT4? I've never seen one family take up a pitch the size of a small village.  ;D

Silky x

Ha - that came around the time my eldest two were young teens and wanted their own space - I ditched the big family tent (freecycle) and sourced (ebay mostly) a heap of small tents - we've never looked back - it's good for the kids to be responsible for their own space and means we don't have that 'last one in trips over all the sleeping bodies' thing.

I do recommend it as a useful way to manage camping with larger families even though the number of sites which charge by person (rather than per tent) is rapidly diminishing.
Two things we give our children: roots & wings

Offline CB2

• Coordinator.
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 11:58:33 PM »

Yes but didn't we have fun?  ;D   I've fond memories of that week, even if we all ended up being towed off site by the owner. My wellies sprung a leak early in the week and all shops had sold out because of the weather - it really felt like I had trench foot by the end of the holiday, sloshing around in wet wellies isn't the best of comfort.

Silky x

Yes I do look back with fond memories for all sorts of reasons.
Life is what you make it.

Offline lulubird

• trainee
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 10:11:59 AM »
You know, I have no idea how I got the bug, because my childhood experiences of camping were traumatic, to say the least. 

At around the age of 8 or 9, I went on my first (and only, thank goodness) Brownie camp.  Run by three women who didn't know what they were doing (GRRRRR) they set up camp at the bottom of a big hill, so that when it rained heavily that first night, we had streams, no, rivers, running through our tents.  Everything got drenched, I was cold, wet and homesick.  I rang my Mum from the payphone and begged her to come and get me, but she refused.  It was awful, I hated everything about it!!

Yet now, I am a mad keen camper!  I put it down to normal (?) cavewoman instincts myself!

But, I do have a thing about knowing how to camp properly, I can't stand faffy females that don't know what they're doing - this must go back to dopey Brown Owl and her mates...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 10:13:01 AM by lulubird »

Offline Ms_wormwood

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 10:16:20 AM »
You!
I tried to convince ex, but he wouldn't. We bought the tent because it was half price and came with sleeping bags. Were meant to use it in Scotland for a whiskey tour the summer I ended up 8 months pregnant....
As ex refused (and still does, even though his and his GFs forum buddies camp) I looked forward to doing something I could never do with him.
And what fun.
Trying to convince the workmates that camping is fun for this year, as your trips are all a little out of my range (except something about paris........?)
Onwards and upwards.

Offline Deborah43

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 11:24:40 AM »
My first experience of camping was in my 20's when I went Inter-railing.  Then there was a break until I started going to festivals in the summers, then another break until I met the ex and we'd go camping in Cornwall, and then when the kids arrived camping was the cheapest option.  So it's kind of been a slow-drip.  I'd love to do a hotel but it's out of my financial range, so camping it is.

And as over the years I have amassed a fair amount of camping *stuff* it seems daft not to use it really  :)
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."

Offline LCSS

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 03:11:34 PM »
I've done it in slow drip as well over the years, but I'm not sure I really have the bug.  I'm a fair weather camper, if it's cold and wet then I'm not enjoying myself much !
Funnily enough, the children asked me just this morning on the walk to school when we were going camping again, so I must get those broken poles fixed.

Offline Mand

• Coordinator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 04:36:14 PM »
Mum and dad had a caravan so we went away in that alot but I camped with the school.

As an adult camped loads with my ex husband (life before charlotte and her dad). Then again once c was born we all camped but it was so stressful. Her dad moaned from when I started to pack the car till the tent was up and the car emptyed the other end.  eventually we sold the camping gear and got a caravan.

Once single again and with swk ..... Bought a new tent .... Knew exactly what i wanted after a string of unsuitable tents in previous lives . Love it ..... Stress free happy holidays like in the old days ;D

Offline Phil

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 05:13:39 PM »
I had my first camping experience at 5 months old.  My oldest son first went camping at 6 weeks old and my youngest son at 4 months old.   ;D 
Leicestershire & Rutland 4x4 Response

Offline That Brummie

• Coordinator
  • addict
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 07:11:58 PM »
Never camped as a kid, we did caravan holidays.

The when I was about 20 I got a job working on a campsite in France -which came complete with a tent to live in for the summer! So that was my first experience of 'camping' but we had proper beds, electricity, sofas etc in the tents so it wasn't like real camping.

Then my next experience was 2 years ago at the Peaks on that scorching hot weekend with you lot! I'd always wanted to take J camping and try it out but never felt safe going just the 2 of us as I didn't know what to expect so camping with a group was a great way to get into it.

Offline eccentrica

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 07:43:54 PM »
Best way to deal with bugs is to swat 'em........

E,x
Feel the fear; and do it anyway!

Offline lostandfound

• SWK Member
  • addict
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 06:39:26 PM »
Best way to deal with bugs is to swat 'em........

E,x
Wondered when you would pop up E
on another planet or so I'm told

Offline eccentrica

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 06:41:20 PM »
Ah, you never quite know when to expect me eh L&F....lol

E,x
Feel the fear; and do it anyway!

Offline SallyL

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 06:40:11 PM »
I have seen photos of me camping in Robin Hoods Bay aged 2 so circa 1975  ::)    we used to go at least twice a year until I was 10. 

Then I started  going with friends when I was about 16, that involved a small tent bedroll, sleeping bag and beer.... lots of beer we went every other weekend from easter to october, did that for many years.   

Taken it up again after getting divorced though my tent is somewhat bigger and the beer is now swapped for a few glasses of wine and lots of coffee and decent bedding.
“A snowball in the face is surely the perfect beginning to a lasting friendship.”
― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

Offline bobbley

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 09:41:36 AM »
Never camped till single and involved with Cub Group - helped at camp during day - held boot fair to get rid of stuff to fund tent - following year camped with cubs then last year on own / cubs / SWK R.Severn / on own / SWK Wickstead
This year SWK Norfolk and still trying to see how much holiday i have left for a short camp of our own.

Single Parent Holidays in the UK and Overseas. Single With Kids offers the widest range of breaks and holidays for single parents, from camping with kids and value breaks through to all inclusive overseas resorts and adventure holidays. Our destinations range from the Lakes through to Lapland, Center Parcs to Tunisia. All Single With Kids Holidays are in group settings with the focus on fun and friendship. Everyone is a single parent family with children aged from babies through to teenagers, and mums and dads from all backgrounds.*Single With Kids Ltd * Greg Street, Stockport SK5 7BR * Telephone 0845 166 8119 *

Copyright © 2014 Single with Kids.
All rights reserved.