Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Peak District Guided Walk/Caving  (Read 7719 times)

Offline Jomichelle

• SWK Member
  • trainee
Peak District Guided Walk/Caving
« on: September 24, 2011, 08:35:05 PM »
I do apologise if there is something along these lines already posted - I've been unable to find it if there is.

This is something I would love to do with my kids next summer, or even before. I really want to go hiking and go to the Blue John Cavern tour. I don't have anyone to go with, however. It would be lovely if I could find someone else who would be interested in this that I could join up with.

Thanks
Jo x

Offline Lind

• SWK Member
  • trainee
Re: Peak District Guided Walk/Caving
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 09:24:10 PM »
I went to the Blue John mine when I was at school. Would love to go back and take my daughter. She is 13. We are in Northants. What about you?

Offline Jomichelle

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 09:43:23 PM »
We're in Derby City Centre. My daughter is also 13 and I have a son of 9. I really want one of those beautiful pendants that are mined there too!

Offline frazzledmum

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 10:16:52 PM »
I'd be up for this.  My daughter's are a little younger though - 9 & 7.  I don't know if there's a minimum suggested age.

Sundays are normally the best day for me.

Offline Jomichelle

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 11:15:27 PM »
From what I can see it seems suitable for children, I can't find a minimum age limit - it just says not suitable for people with mobility problems as there are a number of steps. A Sunday would be great! I'm actually hoping to make a weekend of it and camp somewhere the Saturday night, perhaps longer.

Offline WT4

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • There's Only One
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 04:55:15 AM »
Went on the tour as a young teen - would love to go again and take the kids.  too far for a day trip though (for us) and weekend commitments mean it would need to be in a school holiday

Love that part of the world
Two things we give our children: roots & wings

Offline danensis

• beyond all hope !
  • If it seems too good to be true - it probably is
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 04:17:06 PM »
I've visited all four show caves in Castleton, and must say I find the Treak Cliff Cavern more interesting than the Blue John mine - they also have a vein of bleu-jeune, as they are at the other side of the hill.

The Speedwell cavern has an underground boat trip, but nothing much else of interest other than a large cavern, and Peak Cavern has some interesting history, but is not as scenically interesting as the others.

John
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Offline scatily

• addict
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 06:38:31 PM »
My little boy loved speedwell when we did it last year, the boat was the exciting bit, having to crouch down so we didn't bump our heads etc, he loved it.  He was 7 at the time.

Offline Run DM&C

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 11:36:43 PM »
I'd be up for doing this with my 2 boys and interested in camping for the weekend to make the most of it
'Life should  NOT  be a journey to the grave with the intention of  arriving  safely in an attractive and well preserved  body, but rather  to skid in sideways -   Chardonnay   in one  hand - chocolate in  the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and   screaming 'WOO  HOO, What a  Ride

Offline scatily

• addict
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 07:03:06 AM »
I went with another group of single parents and we stayed in a hostel with climbing, circus skills, walks, craft room etc on site if you wanted it. the hostel took lots of bodies plus they let extras camp on the field. Might be worth contacting Silky to see if an official trip could be planned as we had the best time there, the centre was lovely. I don't know the name but might know someone who does.

Offline MelM

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 12:56:41 PM »
Myself and my two childen would be interested in joining you depending on when etc. We would have to stop over nearby possibly as its a bit of a trek but would worry about that nearer the time.

I am taking my children walking/hiking in the lakes in Oct half term if anyone is interested in joining us for a day. Hoping to do the Langdale pikes trek up to the tarn, as the kids love that one.

Melx

Offline Jomichelle

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 10:02:41 AM »
That sounds exactly what I had in mind. I'm very new here... as I made the suggestion am I supposed to organise this now? Or wait for someone else to do it lol x

Offline LittleMissNaughty

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 10:11:41 PM »
Sounds great! I'm really excited about this one! The caverns are all great! And there is no lower age limit. My son, who is now four has been in Peak cavern and Treak Cliff Cavern. It is definately a beautiful part of the country. Keep me posted abut this one! Rach xx  :D

Offline frazzledmum

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 07:58:12 PM »
Hi Jomichelle.  Why not put up a date/time that suits you so we can see who can make it?

Offline Happimamma

• Coordinator.
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 08:14:45 PM »
I've only just noticed this thread for some reason.  I want to add us to the list of interested parties.  I grew up in this part of the world (or near anyway/30 miles away) and Mum and Dad are still there.  Loved the Blue John Mines as a child.  Don't mind if it's a stay-over or day trip.

Kendra

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 08:19:09 PM »
Has anything been sorted? I haven't been on here for a while!!

Offline Jomichelle

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 08:10:49 PM »
Sorry haven't checked this thread for a while. I can't plan dates right now but as soon as xmas is done with I will get something sorted x

Offline Happimamma

• Coordinator.
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 12:07:12 PM »
cool

Offline annecoates

• trainee
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 12:49:21 PM »
We went in late September and went to Speedwell a few years ago.  I'd happily tag along on another trip.  Is cold tho, wrap up warm :)

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 11:06:03 AM »
Briiliant...looking forward to 2012 and meeting new people on here!!

Hope you're all having a good Christmas!

Rach x

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 08:36:46 PM »
Happy New Year!!

Any thoughts to perhaps meeting up during February half-term?

Rach x

Single Parent Holidays in the UK and Overseas. Single With Kids offers the widest range of breaks and holidays for single parents, from camping with kids and value breaks through to all inclusive overseas resorts and adventure holidays. Our destinations range from the Lakes through to Lapland, Center Parcs to Tunisia. All Single With Kids Holidays are in group settings with the focus on fun and friendship. Everyone is a single parent family with children aged from babies through to teenagers, and mums and dads from all backgrounds.*Single With Kids Ltd * Greg Street, Stockport SK5 7BR * Telephone 0845 166 8119 *

Copyright © 2014 Single with Kids.
All rights reserved.