Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Single mums and IVF on NHS  (Read 5832 times)

Offline JustRuby

• beyond all hope !
Single mums and IVF on NHS
« on: July 04, 2011, 08:07:24 PM »
Read an article in NOTW yesterday (sorry can't find the link atm) about a lady who fought and won the right to IVF on the NHS despite not having a partner to start the process. She bought sperm from the USA to get around the anonymity laws here and was successful on her first attempt. She said that she had no known fertility problems but a psychological and emotional need to have a child and as such thought the NHS should fund it .

Anyone else read it? What do you think? With NHS budgets as stretched as they are (they are closing wards left and right here to cut costs) do you think single women should be allowed IVF treatment on the NHS? Is it a right to have a baby? What about the child - doesn't he have the right to a father or least to know of him? Should NHS IVF be confined to those with fertility problems?  ??? ??? ??? ???

To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world....

Offline Scoobylou

• SWK Member
  • trainee
Re: Single mums and IVF on NHS
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 09:21:26 PM »
I dont have an issue with her having a baby on her own, but i do think that NHS fertility treatment should only be for those with fertility problems. Even when people do have problems conceiving, they are not always given NHS treatment, so i really dont think its fair that she has been given it. Medically she is able to conceive, it was her circumstances that prevented it. I dont think that using an already massivly overstretched NHS budget to fund this is morally correct

Offline Dora

• SWK Member..
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 11:06:13 AM »
It's a really difficult one to call - part of me thinks if she can afford to buy sperm from the US then she can probably afford to pay for IVF.

On the other hand, I do understand the psychological and emotional needs of not being able to have a child.

I really can't decide if I agree with it or not. However, I am posting because I wanted to point something out -

Justruby - this isn't aimed at you - it's the phrase that is commonly used and I have heard it so many times -
"Is it a right to have a baby"

That phrase commonly seems to come from people who have no experience of not being able to become a parent. The people who already have their children. My arguement would be why is it acceptable for that person to have a child but not the person next door. I hate the word 'right' in this context, I think it is more about everyone should have the opportunity to have a child (providing they are fit to be parents - but hey, a whole different discussion there)

Like I say Justruby, please don't think I am getting at you - I hear that phrase so many times!

Happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder…”– Thoreau

Offline Ellyb

• beyond all hope !
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 11:10:36 AM »
I guess again we dont know the full story...has she had problems conceiving naturally....then if not why shouldnt the NHS help, why do you need to be part a couple to receive IVF?

If she hasnt had problems, She could just as easily go into most town centres and get a "sperm donor" on any given friday/saturday night.

I agree though if she afford to import the sperm, chances are she can at least afford to buy a turkey baster! lol!

Offline helencitauk

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 11:35:52 AM »
I agree though if she afford to import the sperm, chances are she can at least afford to buy a turkey baster! lol!

Reminds me of an article I read about a woman who had two kids and wanted to complement the family with a third - and the turkey baster worked. Stood on her head in the loos at a restaurant apparently!
What would you do if you knew today was your last day?

Offline Dora

• SWK Member..
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 11:41:57 AM »
In fact, following on from these replies - I don't see why she would want IVF straight away, if she has no known fertility problems, then surely the turkey baster approach at the optimum time would give her just as much chance?
Happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder…”– Thoreau

Offline MichealP

• addict
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 08:23:38 PM »
In fact, following on from these replies - I don't see why she would want IVF straight away, if she has no known fertility problems, then surely the turkey baster approach at the optimum time would give her just as much chance?

It doesn't work like that, donor sperm needs to be cleaned (removing bad sperm and bacteria) and stored appropriately and defrosted appropriately, which also means IUI would not be available to her as you can only use fresh sperm, not sperm that has been frozen.

Offline WalterGandy

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 12:22:24 PM »
In vitro fertilization (IVF) is one of the good techniques present today that help couples with fertility problems to have a baby. No doubt the process can be physically and emotionally demanding as after trying hard naturally if couples don’t get success then there is no other better means than adapting this process. As far as your concern of IVF treatment on the NHS, there are new guidelines published by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) about the edibility of treatment taker. According to the guidelines women under 40 are able to undergo three cycles of IVF treatment on the NHS. The success rate of this process largely depends on the woman’s age and health issues. If you do not come under the eligibility of NHS funding then it's better to approach a private fertility clinic having modern equipments like embryoscope, good IVF media culture etc. that assure you about successful treatment. Remember many clinics might offer you ‘package’ of treatment, but make sure to find out the right one.

Single Parent Holidays in the UK and Overseas. Single With Kids offers the widest range of breaks and holidays for single parents, from camping with kids and value breaks through to all inclusive overseas resorts and adventure holidays. Our destinations range from the Lakes through to Lapland, Center Parcs to Tunisia. All Single With Kids Holidays are in group settings with the focus on fun and friendship. Everyone is a single parent family with children aged from babies through to teenagers, and mums and dads from all backgrounds.*Single With Kids Ltd * Greg Street, Stockport SK5 7BR * Telephone 0845 166 8119 *

Copyright © 2014 Single with Kids.
All rights reserved.