Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Something just for the kids...?  (Read 6948 times)

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
Something just for the kids...?
« on: June 29, 2011, 09:47:52 PM »
Daughter no.1 is off to PGL with the school at the moment and so excited about going away without mum or dad....

Just a thought:  What if we organised a trip for the kids only (in a PGL or similar type location) ?  A 3-4 night trip, perhaps with adults staying / camping nearby so the kids could join us at the end.

Is it worth us investigating?  Anything we need to consider on this?  It would be for summer 2012 so really just an idea at this stage.

Silky x
A positive mental attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"

Offline WT4

• Full Time Mummy
  • SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • There's Only One
Re: Something just for the kids...?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 09:56:29 PM »
What is PGL?

What age range did you have in mind?  All my kids are happy campers but there's a world of difference between them when it comes to: what constitutes a good break.

In general: the idea gets my vote :)
Two things we give our children: roots & wings

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 10:09:29 PM »
I haven't looked into this any further yet but I suspect there will be minimum ages for the activity providers - probably around 9 or 10 I suspect.

PGL is an activity provider, usually hostel type accommodation with lots of variety in activities. There's also the YHA Do-It-For-Real camps which have a similar offering, or Camp Beaumont.

There are a wide number of parents who have their children 24 /7 and this way the kids would get to meet friends, spend a little time away from mum or dad and have a ball and the adults get a break too....

Silky x
A positive mental attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"

Offline jct

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 10:38:27 PM »
My children inform me that PGL stands for 'parents get lost'!

There's no way I would let my children go on a PGL type trip without adults known to me - such as their teachers.

Judy

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 10:40:31 PM »
What about the YHA "Do It For Real"?  I know a number of parents here have tried those during the holidays with very good reports?

I used to long to go on something similar when I was little but we just couldn't afford it  :-\

Silky x

Offline scatily

• addict
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 10:43:54 PM »
Yep Parents Get Lost apparently, my sister worked for them for a bit and its a nickname i believe but is actively encouraged.

The lower age limit is 7 i think for going it alone, J will be 8 in a few weeks and i looked again this year as i did last, if he had a good friend to go with i would consider it as they are very well staffed, however he doesn't have any SWK best buddies.

They do family holidays too, we would be interested in a group doing that.

Offline scatily

• addict
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 10:45:15 PM »
They can go for as little as 1 night i believe for a taster in case anyone is wondering.

Offline zanywoman

• SWK Member
  • addict
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 10:46:19 PM »
How about on the next camp you just entertain the kids while the rest of us party Silky??  ;)

Though seriously I'd be up for this with my older kids, especially if we were camping nearby.  I did a PGL holiday with school when I was about 11 and thoroughly enjoyed it  ;D

Tracey x
While we teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life's all about.

Offline jodieh12

• Coordinator
  • trainee
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 08:31:04 AM »
Natalie did Camp Beaumont at May Half Term in Colomendy and is doing it again in the summer but in Newcastle this time, she LOVES it.  When she was asking could she go I said "you won't know anyone", her reply "just like our SWK holidays then!", what could I say!

I think Beaumont is slightly cheaper than PGL and YHA are slightly cheaper than Beaumont.  THis would be a yes, yes, yes from us but please no camping or at least an alternative caravan or similiar!

Jo

Offline Ann Stig (official SWK booking name)

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • Its what summers all about
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 08:43:32 AM »
Natalie did Camp Beaumont at May Half Term in Colomendy and is doing it again in the summer but in Newcastle this time, she LOVES it.  When she was asking could she go I said "you won't know anyone", her reply "just like our SWK holidays then!", what could I say!

I think Beaumont is slightly cheaper than PGL and YHA are slightly cheaper than Beaumont.  THis would be a yes, yes, yes from us but please no camping or at least an alternative caravan or similiar!

Jo

maybe a campsite with yurts Jo :-)

Think i'd be up for this but then with everything else to plan, its funds

x

Offline jodieh12

• Coordinator
  • trainee
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 09:37:39 AM »
Yes yurts are a really good idea, You're a great fire starter Ann, I'm sharing with you!

Offline Ann Stig (official SWK booking name)

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • Its what summers all about
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 09:43:57 AM »
Sorry i'll be camping.....but will pop over to start your fire for you lol

x

Offline littlemissfun

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 07:20:17 PM »
Sounds good i'd be interested, my eldest went on a Do it For Real camp about 3 years ago (he was 12/13) and had a fab time, loved it
Sharon
If you obey all the rules you miss out on all the fun!!!
Wouldn't it be nice if the world was flat then we could push off people we didn't like!

Offline Papa Smurf

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 12:26:50 AM »
Spoke to R earlier and she would love to do it again after doing it with school last year.

Offline Mia

• SWK Member..
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 08:53:44 AM »
We're too young for this at the moment but I was on the PGL site the other week looking at what they do, loved the family hols like Scatily but found them too pricey for me.

PGL age limit was 7 btw.  Will also look up the other ones then :-)

Great idea though x
Having children makes you no more a parent than having a piano makes you a pianist.  Michael Levine.

Offline jodieh12

• Coordinator
  • trainee
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 09:33:25 AM »
Beaumont have a 2 for 1 on at the moment, it works out about £220 for 7 days if anyone was interested.

Jo

Offline LCSS

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 11:36:32 AM »
Definitely worth looking into with and/or without the parent(s).

I'm doing an activity holiday a bit like that abroad with my kids in August.  I think it should be really fun and we're certainly looking forward to it.

Offline LAK

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 01:39:19 PM »
I've packed the kids up, now when was it you said they could go?
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline jodieh12

• Coordinator
  • trainee
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 01:42:03 PM »
LAK - ROFL  ;D

Offline elliefreya

• beyond all hope !
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2011, 06:22:08 PM »

How very oddd!!!! Both my girls were at Colomendy for the may half term!!!!!!! Ask Natalie if she met and Ellie or a Freya!!!!

Jo

Offline jodieh12

• Coordinator
  • trainee
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2011, 07:19:26 PM »
I've just asked her she said yes Ellie was n the older girls room and Freya was next door to her room, she's looking forward to seeing them on an Swk holiday!

Offline elliefreya

• beyond all hope !
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2011, 10:38:44 PM »
How funny!!! Such a small world!!! Is natalie planing on going again? Mine will def be there, prob next fe half term, easter or may again though depending on when it is running! They LOVED it! Think Freya was rather a handful though by all accounts- mummy enjoyed the week of peace though!!!! ;D ;D

Offline jodieh12

• Coordinator
  • trainee
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2011, 08:42:49 AM »
She is going to Beaumont in Newcastle in August, yes she'll probably go back to Colomendy at May next year, she did enjoy it, I loved coming home to a nice tidy house and it remaining tidy for a whole 7 days!

Jo

Offline SM2

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 02:51:53 PM »
This may be something I would consider for Sophie, she' 8 now  ;D

I look forward to reading more details if you get any please x

Single Parent Holidays in the UK and Overseas. Single With Kids offers the widest range of breaks and holidays for single parents, from camping with kids and value breaks through to all inclusive overseas resorts and adventure holidays. Our destinations range from the Lakes through to Lapland, Center Parcs to Tunisia. All Single With Kids Holidays are in group settings with the focus on fun and friendship. Everyone is a single parent family with children aged from babies through to teenagers, and mums and dads from all backgrounds.*Single With Kids Ltd * Greg Street, Stockport SK5 7BR * Telephone 0845 166 8119 *

Copyright © 2014 Single with Kids.
All rights reserved.