Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Camping Heaters  (Read 6193 times)

Offline Beverley

• SWK Member
  • trainee
Camping Heaters
« on: May 05, 2011, 09:42:16 PM »
I am going on the Peaks camping trip and after being cold when at the lakes the other year (I'm not a regular camper!!) I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on camping heaters.
Does anyone use them, are they ok and safe?
I have found one on ebay - portable gas heater with 8 butane refills for just £19.99 inc postage.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180651469365&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Would be really nice to have some warmth going to bed and maybe getting up if it is cold. My youngest doesnt want to go so anything to make it better for her!! I only have the real essentials so far - a tent, airbeds and sleeping bags!!! I'm not buying loads of equipment as it's too expensive for just one trip. We are cheating on the cooking and eating in the clubhouse when we arrive on Friday, hoping for communal bbq on sat nt??

Thanks x

Offline Mia

• SWK Member..
  • part of the furniture
Re: Camping Heaters
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 09:48:43 PM »
No experience with the heaters but my advice is just plenty of layers in bed, a hat and thick socks if you're a really cold type and a quilt on top of your sleeping bags really does make a huge difference.  To give you an idea, I'm in peterborough (so not exactly on a cold coast or high area) and i have a campervan, we slept out on driveway the 3rd week of April, had been a glorious day but it does still dip heavily at night, i had on PJs, socks, a cardigan, dressing gown, sleeping bag and a quilt, then I woke at 1am and was STILL cold  ;D

But you won't need to worry about that as it'll be 30 degrees like it was last year!!!  Can live in hope...

Also, don't think we do the communal BBQs anymore on the camping trips, not since the year before last .

A x
Having children makes you no more a parent than having a piano makes you a pianist.  Michael Levine.

Offline Beverley

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 09:53:35 PM »
I did the lakes camping in July 09 and the weather was lovely during the day but it was so cold at night. Luckily I'd been advised to take duvet!! We slept fully clothed with blankets, sleeping bags and king size duvet and it was still cold. I don't do cold.

Shame about the communal bbq's, clubhouse it is then!!

Offline Scoobylou

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 10:03:34 PM »
I looked at the camping heaters a while ago - only thing to watch is that most of them say they are not safe for use inside the tent - more for when your still sat out and want to keep warm !!

I've camped twice - first time was new forest.......scorching hot during the day but i was still cold at night even with lots of layers, sleeping bag and duvet.  Second time i went was a few weeks later, same scorching weather during the day, but i had bought new thicker sleeping bags and i actually woke up too warm in the middle of the night - although that was possibly the most stressful trip of my life cos william was ill both nights and didnt really get too much sleep, so may have been stress keeping me warm!

Offline Blue Sky

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 10:13:29 PM »
Camped last weekend and invested in one of the butane heaters you are talking about.  They clearly state they are NOT FOR INDOOR USE - although they dont count as much of a patio heater  ;D

Weather involved high winds and hail stones so not exactly ideal camping.  I used mine for what you are talking about to take the chill off for half an hour before bed time a couple of nights and also first thing in the morning once.  It was a nice to have - apart from my paranoia (sp?) about setting the tent on fire and carbon monoxide poisoning - but realistically could have done without it.  

I dont think they are safe to leave unattended or on all night; so layers of duvets and blankets are definitely the answer (and cheaper too)!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 10:17:32 PM »
I've one of those heaters Beverley and they're great, even though Wicksteed was fairly mild I still used it to warm up the tent before I snuggled down to sleep. I wouldn't use them in a small 2 man tent but if your tent is high or big enough to cook in, then as long as it's attended and kept well away from the sides I'm sure it would be ok. Mine didn't come with a warning but I have had it for a number of years now (before the days of health and safety going overboard).

Would it be tempting fate to say you won't need it of course.....?  ;)

Silky x
A positive mental attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"

Offline Run DM&C

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 12:32:56 AM »
I have a camping heater Beverley and it's great for taking the chill off before getting in bed.
I find 1/2 an hour is ample and only have it on if I am there while the kids are having hot chocolate before bed

A good idea to keep the cold at bay is a roll up camping mat under your airbed to stop the cold coming up from the ground. We always have those, then a duvet over sleeping bags for colder nights

Another tip is put your pj's on under your clothes while sitting round campfire then you warm them up before bed!
'Life should  NOT  be a journey to the grave with the intention of  arriving  safely in an attractive and well preserved  body, but rather  to skid in sideways -   Chardonnay   in one  hand - chocolate in  the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and   screaming 'WOO  HOO, What a  Ride

Offline Liverbird

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »
Deb u are so funny its a wonder u do camping at all!  ;)  It is great to hear all the camping tips though , and i will certainly take them on board  :)  and  i also thought i would share this bargin with anyone who hasn't got a heater,

B&M GAS CANISTER CAMPING HEATER £15-£17   i finally bought mine 2 weeks ago after looking around at exact same ones but much much more expensive, this is the cheapest i have ever seen them anywhere.  Can't remember the exact price.   

we have a large sun visa thing for the car and a yoga mat and i am wondering if this could work similar to a camping mat? x

Offline Mand

• Coordinator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 05:00:50 PM »
Pam .... the yoga mat might be ok but not the sun visa...it wont be comfy or keep the cold away. you'd be better investing in a roll mat at least...just seen them in asda for £5 ...... ive seen them in B & M too but not sure of price.

I have a camping heater ...... the butane sort that everyone is talking about.....only used it once at shell a few years back (inside the tent)...but it did the trick just took the chill off. Not bothered using it since tho ....... as Debbie said ....i put my pj's on under my clothes early evening so its not a shock at bedtime trying to undress.

main thing is tho plenty of warm bedding ...... its a very long night when your cold.

Beverley ..... at the Peaks there is a really well stocked shop ..... youd be able to buy a disposible bbq and burgers etc from there, the food in the clubhouse bit is nice i dont think its particularly cheap tho from what i remember.

Offline Dora

• SWK Member..
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 07:59:52 PM »
Beverley, you are welcome to borrow any of my stuff, I've got a little bbq etc, so don't worry about what you haven't got. I've not got a camping heater though!
Happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder…”– Thoreau

Offline lostandfound

• SWK Member
  • addict
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 04:23:43 PM »
We have a black cat heater we use to take the chill out of the tent on really cold evening before we crash out but mostly load up on vodka lmao
on another planet or so I'm told

Offline bobbley

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 10:35:19 PM »
Used a hot water bottle in the sleeping bag before bed time to warm it up. Then hold it till you stop shivering then chuck it out of bag before it goes cold. :D
It worked on cub camp last september when we had warm days but really cold nights. Taking hot water bottles to cub camp 20th May weekend too.
Also use a picnic rug under air bed. Extra fleece blanket on top too.

Offline mikeiom2

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 12:01:34 AM »
Heater is great but make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector in your tent!!
We were very glad of our heater last weekend in Norfolk!

M&T

Offline bobbley

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 11:02:59 PM »
that cold night in norfolk - i couldn't get warm all evening so  in the end hopped in car - heater on full until i felt warm then straight to bed. Best night sleep of the trip.

think we toasted your boy too Mike - he found somewhere warm to hide.

Single Parent Holidays in the UK and Overseas. Single With Kids offers the widest range of breaks and holidays for single parents, from camping with kids and value breaks through to all inclusive overseas resorts and adventure holidays. Our destinations range from the Lakes through to Lapland, Center Parcs to Tunisia. All Single With Kids Holidays are in group settings with the focus on fun and friendship. Everyone is a single parent family with children aged from babies through to teenagers, and mums and dads from all backgrounds.*Single With Kids Ltd * Greg Street, Stockport SK5 7BR * Telephone 0845 166 8119 *

Copyright © 2014 Single with Kids.
All rights reserved.