Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Big bro - My hero  (Read 13281 times)

Offline eccentrica

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
Big bro - My hero
« on: October 29, 2010, 10:58:23 AM »
On Friday 15th October, we were notified that my brother was killed whilst dealing with a landmine in the Sudan.

He was one of life's true action hero's. He had spent many years dealing with bomb and mine disposal whilst serving in the Royal Navy and had been retired due to health problems arising from "friendly fire" injuries sustained in the furst Gulf War.

Latterly he was working for a charity, MAG which deals with the removal of land mines and munitions across the world.

My mind is full of images that I'd rather not have and it is so difficult trying to pull forward a picture of how he was rather than how he died.

God bless Bro....you leave a gaping hole that can never be filled.

E,x
Feel the fear; and do it anyway!

Offline jct

• SWK Member
  • trainee
Re: Big bro - My hero
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 11:09:51 AM »
Oh what a terrible tragedy
What a brave brave man - how utterly proud you must be.
I am deeply sorry for your loss which I cannot begin to imagine.

Judy

Offline Stuart

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 11:43:34 AM »
On Friday 15th October, we were notified that my brother was killed whilst dealing with a landmine in the Sudan.

He was one of life's true action hero's. He had spent many years dealing with bomb and mine disposal whilst serving in the Royal Navy and had been retired due to health problems arising from "friendly fire" injuries sustained in the furst Gulf War.

Latterly he was working for a charity, MAG which deals with the removal of land mines and munitions across the world.

My mind is full of images that I'd rather not have and it is so difficult trying to pull forward a picture of how he was rather than how he died.

God bless Bro....you leave a gaping hole that can never be filled.

E,x

How awful, I hope you are coping ok and I am sure you have great memories of your brother that you will cherish forever.

Take Care

Stuart
Laughter is always the best medicine, unless your a diabetic then insulin works better.

Offline Scoobylou

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 12:07:42 PM »
So sorry to hear this. Thoughts are with you and your family xx

Offline helencitauk

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 12:20:59 PM »
Your brother was very brave and I'm sorry for your loss x
What would you do if you knew today was your last day?

Offline CB2

• Coordinator.
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 12:27:42 PM »
Sorry to hear about your brother, he was very brave.  My thoughts are with you x
Life is what you make it.

Offline C99

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 12:53:18 PM »
So sorry to hear about your brother. xx
Your mileage may vary...

Offline TravellingChick

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 01:52:18 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear about your brother.

He was clearly a man to be proud of,  I am sure the good memories will surface soon.

Much love to you and your family.
Sarah
x

Offline sunflora

• trainee
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 02:31:09 PM »
This is so sad!!!  My thoughts are with you and your family  :'(

Even though at the moment you have images in your mind which you don't want, it is all so raw and you will hate the thought of him suffering after all that he had previously been through, the good images and memories will all come flooding back in time.

Take care x
There have been many times this year when I've disturbed you, troubled you, pestered you. irritated you, bugged you or just plainly got on your nerves so today I just wanted to tell you... TOUGH poop! There are no changes scheduled for 2010!!! ENJOY! X

Offline rox

• addict
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 02:59:10 PM »
Really sorry to hear about your brother.  :'(
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Take care
K x

Offline toot

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 03:17:01 PM »
i am so sorry to hear this and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time x

Offline LCSS

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 03:36:41 PM »
How very sad, but a very brave and noble way to go, although I don't suppose that helps you much with your loss.
My condolences to you and your family.

Offline Dora

• SWK Member..
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 03:42:38 PM »
Eccentrica I am so sorry for your loss. A brother to be proud of and he has a sister to be proud of - that was lovely the way you wrote about him.

xx
Happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder…”– Thoreau

Offline pod

• addict
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 08:39:53 PM »
So sorry, he sounds like an incredible man and a special human being. My thoughts are with you and A. x

Offline Pandora

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 09:46:15 PM »
Oh goodness, what dreadfully sad news.
My son served with the army in the Sudan last year, and the bravery your brother showed and the huge sacrifice he paid should never be thought of as in vain.
Maybe your loss means somebody like my son is spared - I know that's not fair but I can't express my admiration for the job your brother did any other way.
Take care Linda, my deepest sympathy goes out to you and your famiy.

Diane x

Offline inferno

• trainee
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 11:29:28 PM »
I am so sorry for your loss.  Your brother was indeed a true hero.  You and your family are in my thoughts  xx 

Offline Wildflower

• trainee
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 09:41:55 AM »
Sorry to hear that. How awful, but perhaps you can gain some solace from the fact that he died making the world a better place - how many people can say that?

God bless him and all your family.

R

x

Offline danensis

• beyond all hope !
  • If it seems too good to be true - it probably is
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 05:11:59 PM »
I'm really sorry to read about your brother. Mines Action Group is one of the charities supported by our Meeting.

I could get all political about the fact that Britain is one of the biggest exporters of this kind of munition, but now is not the time.

John
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Offline eccentrica

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 07:54:22 PM »
I'm really sorry to read about your brother. Mines Action Group is one of the charities supported by our Meeting.

I could get all political about the fact that Britain is one of the biggest exporters of this kind of munition, but now is not the time.

John

Perhaps so John....in this instance it was an Israeli landmine.

Offline sunflora

• trainee
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 08:55:15 PM »

Sorry John but if now is not the time to mention that then why did you?  ??? 
There have been many times this year when I've disturbed you, troubled you, pestered you. irritated you, bugged you or just plainly got on your nerves so today I just wanted to tell you... TOUGH poop! There are no changes scheduled for 2010!!! ENJOY! X

Offline danensis

• beyond all hope !
  • If it seems too good to be true - it probably is
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 11:04:06 PM »

Sorry John but if now is not the time to mention that then why did you?  ??? 

No, I said I wouldn't get political about it now.

John
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

Offline sunflora

• trainee
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2010, 11:08:55 PM »
I know that is what you said but in my opinion there was no need to even suggest it... eccentrica is grieving so I think just condolences and the mention that Mines Action Group is one supported by your Meeting would've more than sufficed... that is all I am going to say, I don't want to get into a battle, I just stated my opinion :)

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2010, 12:41:51 PM »
I'm so very, very sorry to hear this Linda, the news anyone would dread. There's so little anyone can say that would help at times like this, bereavement is most definitely the tidal wave of grief.

Our thoughts and love are with you and your family at this terrible time,
Chrissie x
A positive mental attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"

Offline Mia

• SWK Member..
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 09:30:39 PM »
Only just read this thread, so sad and I really feel for what you're going through now and these awful last few weeks for everyone involved.

As lots of people have said to me recently, there really are no words that can help or make the situation any better for you but hopefully knowing that there is a community of love and support on here for you may at least provide a little comfort and warmth during cold and dark moments.

Take your time, let it out and look after each other x x x
Having children makes you no more a parent than having a piano makes you a pianist.  Michael Levine.

Offline Ann Stig (official SWK booking name)

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
  • Its what summers all about
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2010, 10:27:17 PM »
Only just seen this thread

So sorry for your loss, I know how hard it is to lose your big bro....I lost mine earlier this year and his Birthday is this Sunday.

Huge hugs

My mum is suffering loads and recently joined a group for bereaved parents.  Keep it in mind if your parents are struggling hun, it must be so hard to lose a child, no matter how old that child is, still their child

Ann xx

Offline The Naughtiest Girl

• beyond all hope !
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2010, 10:38:35 PM »
This is truly terrible
But I like the title of the post
Always remember him as a hero as clearly he was
Much love
Rach
x
Courage is looking fear right in the eye and saying " Excuse me, get the hell out of my way, I have things to do "

Offline Sharon J

• beyond all hope !
  • Happy, Happy, Happy.
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 10:41:56 PM »
So sorry to hear about your brother xxxxx
Keep smiling xx

Offline eccentrica

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2010, 05:58:45 PM »
Thanks Ladies,

The build up to Christmas has been tough. It would have been his wedding anniversary next week.
Added to that we finally had the United Nations enquiry report this week.

Basically, he followed all the protocols but it would seem that there was a mess up with local communications and he was left in the local community hospital for nearly 2 hours longer than needed and basically bled to death. It made for very difficult and stark reading.

I'm not in a particularly good place as a result, but I have to keep it in with my little one now finished school and my mum in deep depression.

I guess though we all just have to go on and deal with things as best we can. That's life eh?

To all those out there in similar straits...big hugs and deepest sympaties.

E,x

Offline Mia

• SWK Member..
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2010, 07:44:05 PM »
Oh god, poor you.  You try to flow the horrible parts out of your imagination but when it comes to reading a report and actually getting answers then it's unavoidable I guess.  I too have this to go through soon as an inquest is needed for G's Daddy as although we have built a picture of what happened, we don't actually know and it will involve witnesses to be called to recount their stories.  I'm not looking forward to it but we all need answers.  I really feel for you x x x
Having children makes you no more a parent than having a piano makes you a pianist.  Michael Levine.

Offline helencitauk

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2010, 09:42:31 AM »
How awful eccentrica! Your poor brother
What would you do if you knew today was your last day?

Offline infinity67

• beyond all hope !
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2010, 11:58:19 AM »
Get that kettle on hun

Be round soon X
copyright of Infinity67

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2010, 10:57:12 PM »
Eccentrica I simply don't know what to write - I can only imagine the pain knowing your brother's death may possibly have been avoidable were it not for the communication failure.

This Christmas is going to be a difficult one for you and your family and I can only send my love to you all and hope you manage to find some time to grieve yourself whilst supporting your mum.

Silky x
A positive mental attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"

Single Parent Holidays in the UK and Overseas. Single With Kids offers the widest range of breaks and holidays for single parents, from camping with kids and value breaks through to all inclusive overseas resorts and adventure holidays. Our destinations range from the Lakes through to Lapland, Center Parcs to Tunisia. All Single With Kids Holidays are in group settings with the focus on fun and friendship. Everyone is a single parent family with children aged from babies through to teenagers, and mums and dads from all backgrounds.*Single With Kids Ltd * Greg Street, Stockport SK5 7BR * Telephone 0845 166 8119 *

Copyright © 2014 Single with Kids.
All rights reserved.