Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Should I start potty training??  (Read 8275 times)

Offline pod

• addict
Should I start potty training??
« on: December 29, 2009, 01:26:55 PM »
Hey

Advice needed please as this seems like a minefield and everyone has something different to say on this.

E is 2 in 3 weeks time and whilst it seems quite young she appears to be showing signs that she is ready for potty training.  She tells me when she needs a poo minutes before going, she will sit on the potty but has yet to produce anything.  She is constantly taking her nappy off which is becoming a huge problem, she did it this morning without my knowing and wee'd all over the carpet and often will do the same in her cot.  Getting a nappy on her is becoming seriously hard work, she simply doesn't want to wear one.  She is often dry after a nap.

My question is, IF this is the right time how do I manage it as a full time working parent?  As of the 11th January I'm back full time between work and uni until the completion of my degree in 18 months.  Shes in nursery 3 and a half days and with my mum the remainder.  Do I go for it in the next week before she returns to nursery, have a serious go at it and write the week off to wee soaked carpet and constant toiletting reminders?!  OR do I leave it having no idea when I'll next have a significant period of time at home with her to do it?

Help!  I feel utterly clueless.

D. x

Offline Mand

• Coordinator
  • beyond all hope !
Re: Should I start potty training??
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 01:39:28 PM »
If i was you and you have the timeover the next few weeks go for it.

The worst that will happen you will realise she just isnt ready and can leave it a bit longer.

C was 2 n half .....i tried at 2 but she just kept weeing all over the floor but it sounds like your daughter may well be ready.

Off to the supermarket for at least 20 pairs of knickers first or the washer will be on non stop.

good luck  :)

Offline jakatella

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 01:53:29 PM »
I used to put my daughters babygrows on back-to-front to stop her undressing in her cot! the zip-up ones were the best tho as they would go on normally but with a safetypin to stop her undoing the zip!
Good luck! as potty training can be fun!

Offline Jus2380

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 02:00:35 PM »
My son is nearly 2 and a half, but isn't ready - I know boys are meant to be slower at it than girls.

You need to go with your daughter rather than what others before have done.  If you feel she's ready, then go for it!  Have you thought about trying to get hold of some of those picnic blankets that have a plastic back?  Might save on some of the carpet.

Justine

Offline elfgirl

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 03:10:46 PM »
Like you say, everyone seems to have different advice on this one. If YOU think she's ready then go for it. I tried potty training M when his nursery told me he was ready and it fitted with their cycle (even tho I knew he wasn't). I wasted a whole half term and got really frustrated as M would sometimes hold it for hours, literally, until I put a nappy back on and then have three wees on the floor in 10 minutes. In the end I told the nursery that I didn't care if it undermined their routine, as far as I was concerned he wasn't ready and I was not going to do it at home. About 4 months later, it seemed like the right time - he was dry almost immediately with only one or two accidents in a whole week.

Maybe give it a good go for a couple of days, only if it looks like you're getting somewhere stick with it. Good luck!!!

Offline C99

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 03:26:49 PM »
O also went through a phase of taking his nappy off (I really sympathise  :( ) so I had a go at potty training. He was perfectly dry for about 3 days, then couldn't be bothered - we had about a fortnight of wet clothes, then I put him back in nappies. Being a boy he would quite happily run around in cold wet wee-soaked trousers indefinitely, without bothering to tell me! (Ooops, will probably get in trouble for that comment  ;D ) Tried again a few months later, and he got the hang of it straight away. 

I'm lucky that his nursery didn't impose any routine, but were quite happy to work with each individual child/parent when it came to potty training. They saw it as part of their job.

Also, GET A POTETTE!!!  http://www.boots.com/en/Bibs-Stuff-Potette-Plus_857058/
Your mileage may vary...

Offline C99

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 03:31:17 PM »
And.... To be honest, the best piece of advice i was given, was to do it when the weather's nice - so much easier than faffing with loads of layers of clothes - hopefully the removing of nappies is just a phase  :-\  :-\  :-\
Your mileage may vary...

Offline skittle

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 06:01:36 PM »
have a serious go at it and write the week off to wee soaked carpet and constant toiletting reminders?

If she does this she is not ready you also shouldn't need loads of extra knickers and the washing machine on non-stop. 

I would try for a couple of days and if she is constantly having accidents, then leave it for a few months before trying again.

OR do I leave it having no idea when I'll next have a significant period of time at home with her to do it?

Don't worry about this when she is ready a weekend is plenty long enough.

If it is a success then personally I would never put a nappy on her, not for naps, not for long car journeys etc.  Think nightime depends on the individual child, mine were all dry day and night at the same time.   

Whatever way it goes speak to the nursery and your mum,  about what you are doing so you are all 'singing from the same 'hym sheet'.

Good luck
NEVER MISTAKE POWER FOR WISDOM

Offline pod

• addict
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 06:14:06 PM »
Thanks.

We'll give it all a go in the coming week and see if she cracks it, if not I'm not stressing about it, its helpful to know that if shes ready it shouldn't take long.  Shes sat on her potty as we speak with no nappy in sight.  :-\ 

Nursery aren't pressurrising at all and my mum will follow my lead so I'll follow E's.  Thanks for all the helpful advice.
D. x

Offline cheesecake

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 07:01:30 PM »
I must admit I didn't train either of mine until quite late compared to other friends, BUT both of mine were trained within days...I had no accidents at home, the occasional one whilst we were out but we still get that even now when they are preoccupied with other things! So my advice would be give it a go, if it doesn't happen then try again at a later date.

Offline infinity67

• beyond all hope !
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
Beth was more or less dry in the day quite quickly. The occassional accident. But wasnt dry at night until she was about 7! So dont panic if it takes a while

The best time to do it for me was when the weather got warmer so I could get all the extra washing dry!!
copyright of Infinity67

Offline Sharon J

• beyond all hope !
  • Happy, Happy, Happy.
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 08:44:54 PM »
Hiya,

I changed from nappies to pull ups first - that way she may struggle to pull them off and can treat them like a pair of knickers. I would also wait for the good weather in the summer time as its easier to dry all the wet clothes then !  Nursery should be a great help if she is there 3 days per week, just ask them how they do it/what routine they use and stick to that at home, thats what I did to get my little madam dry.

Good Luck !
Keep smiling xx

Offline cozg

• SWK Member
  • addict
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 10:53:21 AM »
my daughter took much longer to become dry at night which i think is fairly normal so dont expect that to happen at the same time. i left it till the summer when my daughter was about 2 and 3 months and i let her run around semi naked so if she had an accident it didnt really matter. wasnt too funny however when she squatted on the garden path and did a big number 2 in front of my new friends from playgroup!! :-X - well it was a bit funny i thought!
i def agree with the others- if a child is ready it wont take long. just be prepared for accidents and have plenty of spare pants with you when u go out. also try to get into a rountine of going to the toilet before you go out anywhere to get an empty bladder before you begin!! dont feel under pressure to do it because your child is a certain age- they will crack it pretty quickly if they are ready.

Offline The Naughtiest Girl

• beyond all hope !
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 10:58:27 AM »
I really can't remember when I did the girls

I do remember that Lottie took a while and I ended up trying a few months later

Like you say pod, the worst that can happen is that she is not ready, the best is that she will manage it and then the relief of not buying nappies on a weekly basis is fab! Use the budget for 2 bottles of wine ( did I just say that?)_
Rach
x
Courage is looking fear right in the eye and saying " Excuse me, get the hell out of my way, I have things to do "

Offline pod

• addict
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 07:33:23 PM »
Well, this doesn't appear to be going anywhere fast, too much going on, family popping in and too many new toys, shes either pre-occupied or not ready. 2 days of potty everywhere we go, constant wee reminders, her telling me she needs a no 2 and then holding it and until I put a nappy on.  She'll sit on the potty happily, but as for doing anything in it, well I think I'll faint when it actually happens!

I'll wait a couple of months and hope for some early spring weather and try again.  Thanks for all the tips!  ;D

Offline LAK

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 08:44:15 PM »
I used smarties and it worked a treat.  One smartie each time the girls did a wee (or otherwise) in the potty.  The trick is to get them on the potty that first time so even if they just get some wee in the potty (as you rush them to it mid pee) they'll get a smartie.  Once my girls realised that they got a smartie each time we had it cracked.
Not all those who wander are lost

Offline LCSS

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 11:19:47 PM »
You should keep trying now while you have a bit of time.  You will get lucky at some point and then she will understand that's what it feels like.  I would give her lots to drink with breakfast and then sit her on the potty and sit next to her with some books to look at, maybe some music to sing along to.  Basically just keep her occupied whilst sitting on the potty til she does it.  If she loses patience and you don't catch it, try again after lunch, and so on.  Once she's done it once, then sit her on the potty every 2 hours to begin with until she learns to recognise when she needs to go.

I used the reward method as well. One wee or poo = 1 star.  3 stars = a chocolate. 6 stars = a small treat.  My kids were both clean for their 2nd birthdays and cracked it in a couple of days.  I had several potties in different rooms!  And like Skittle said, I never put them back in nappies during the day on any pretext.  I had to wash the car seat a couple of times though !  It's really worth it, it's so great not to have to do nappies anymore and it's even better when they sit on the toilet instead of the pot  :)

Offline Beanzie

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 11:33:55 PM »
By what you are saying I don't think she is ready for it.  I tried my youngest at his insistance just before he hit 2 and it was a waste of time, put the potty away for a few months then tried again and he cracked it within two days.  Little or no accidents, wasn't dry at night for another year but again when he was ready think we only had one accident.

Also if you are going to try and take the dummies off her, I wouldn't even think about the potty it would all just be far too upsetting for her and probably end up pretty fraught for you too.

B x

Offline blissgirl

• trainee
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »
dont take any pressure on board!! 

dont rush!!

all kids are different, (mine never weed while she was asleep for example.. i put her to bed without a nappy from 6 months old as i was throwing out dry ones every morning. i didnt wanna put it back on after 8hours around her bum but it did seem a waste) -we did Potty training like every one else though.

do start in warm waether. deffo. this year or next...  :D

the old saying of "they grow up so fast" its true you know, and you will FORGET about nappies before long so whats another month or two or even 6?

good luck, 

andrea
Call out GAURANGA!
Be happy!!

Offline helencitauk

• SWK Member
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 03:41:50 PM »
I don't think the prospect of your little girl going to nursery needs to be an issue as the nursery itself will support you in whatever you do/want.

From my own experience and seeing others at the nursery, it seems to me that learning not to wet underwear etc takes a while, so the idea that you can somehow train your child in a short space of time seems unrealistic (and stressful, esp when you end up feeling a failure).

Seems to me that if your daughter doesn't want to wear a nappy, it might be best to let her forego them, even if that does mean extra changes of clothing etc. My daughter was 21 months when she refused to wear a nappy during the day but she wet herself about once a day for almost a year and then one day she just seemed to stop doing it. Now, we're onto nappy-free nights and I've had almost a year of her wetting the bed most nights, but I had reached the point where I just couldn't get her in a nappy to start with and I certainly couldn't keep her in one if I wanted any sleep at all ;)

Good luck in whatever you decide to do
What would you do if you knew today was your last day?

Offline TFern

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2019, 08:00:41 PM »
Hey

Advice needed please as this seems like a minefield and everyone has something different to say on this.

E is 2 in 3 weeks time and whilst it seems quite young she appears to be showing signs that she is ready for potty training.  She tells me when she needs a poo minutes before going, she will sit on the potty but has yet to produce anything.  She is constantly taking her nappy off which is becoming a huge problem, she did it this morning without my knowing and wee'd all over the carpet and often will do the same in her cot.  Getting a nappy on her is becoming seriously hard work, she simply doesn't want to wear one.  She is often dry after a nap.

My question is, IF this is the right time how do I manage it as a full time working parent?  As of the 11th January I'm back full time between work and uni until the completion of my degree in 18 months.  Shes in nursery 3 and a half days and with my mum the remainder.  Do I go for it in the next week before she returns to nursery, have a serious go at it and write the week off to wee soaked carpet and constant toiletting reminders?!  OR do I leave it having no idea when I'll next have a significant period of time at home with her to do it?

Help!  I feel utterly clueless.
Must start wearing cloth training pants! That was with me once I past 21 month old and could hold my bowls! Just that I saw cloth training pants and choosed that due to that I was terrified to pee naked and inside pants which I’d see my pee! Also that it’s close to my body and the soft feel of cotton! Esp that I got a crush that cloth training pants will cover my pee and that I’d only feel my pee! When I saw cloth training pants I was eager to put on cloth training pants esp to pee inside my new cloth training pants! Just once I got inside my new cloth training pants I peed inside my new cloth training pants esp that I held my pee to do so! Just when I started to wear cloth training pants my pee at the same time wore my cloth training pants! I’ve been going to nursery care in cloth training pants until I started wearing pants past 23 1/2 month! However my cloth training pants hanged high up my new pants esp due to that I was terrified of my butt crack hanging out and I got a crush seeing my cloth training pants and feeling my cloth training pants! I’m of profound mental retardation! The same for her! She must choose cloth training pants being terrified to pee naked and inside pants which she’d see her pee! Also that it’s close to her body and the soft feel of cotton! Esp that she get a crush that her new cloth training pants covers her pee and that she’d only feel her pee! She must be eager to put on cloth training pants esp to pee inside her new cloth training pants! Just once she gets inside her new cloth training pants she’d pee inside her new cloth training pants esp that she holds her pee to do so! Just when she starts wearing her new cloth training pants her pee at the same time wears her new cloth training pants! She must go to nursery care in cloth training pants until 23 1/2 month! However her cloth training pants must hang high up her new pants due to that she must be terrified that her butt crack hanging out and she gets a crush seeing her cloth training pants and feeling her cloth training pants!
D. x

Offline TFern

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2019, 08:08:17 PM »

The worst that will happen you will realise she just isnt ready and can leave it a bit longer.

C was 2 n half .....i tried at 2 but she just kept weeing all over the floor but it sounds like your daughter may well be ready.

Off to the supermarket for at least 20 pairs of knickers first or the washer will be on non stop.

I used to put my daughters babygrows on back-to-front to stop her undressing in her cot! the zip-up ones were the best tho as they would go on normally but with a safetypin to stop her undoing the zip!
Good luck! as potty training can be fun!
With me I never weed on the floor due to that I only weed inside my cloth training pants! Get her to wear cloth training pants and and that’s what she’d only weed inside of! Plus you you drain her over the potty just like me!

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2019, 02:36:35 PM »
I suspect, reading this post now, that the potty training is long since covered :-)  Or we should definitely hope so!!!

Silky x
A positive mental attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"

Single Parent Holidays in the UK and Overseas. Single With Kids offers the widest range of breaks and holidays for single parents, from camping with kids and value breaks through to all inclusive overseas resorts and adventure holidays. Our destinations range from the Lakes through to Lapland, Center Parcs to Tunisia. All Single With Kids Holidays are in group settings with the focus on fun and friendship. Everyone is a single parent family with children aged from babies through to teenagers, and mums and dads from all backgrounds.*Single With Kids Ltd * Greg Street, Stockport SK5 7BR * Telephone 0845 166 8119 *

Copyright © 2014 Single with Kids.
All rights reserved.