One of the best things about the internet (apart from the millions of cat videos on YouTube) is how it allows you to connect instantly with people from all corners of the world. If you have a weird and wonderful hobby, you can easily find someone else who shares it. If you’re facing a problem, there will be someone else out there who is going through the same thing. Whoever you want to meet and chat to, you can find them online with just a few clicks.
A forum is a great way to connect with people online, to find answers to your questions or help with problems. Maybe you just need a bit of support or advice from like-minded people, like the folks on our single parent forum. There are a vast range of different topics covered on the forum, including:
- Single mums and dads sharing funny stories about their kids
- Practical advice about getting divorced
- Support for parents going on their first holiday as a single parent
- Ideas for holiday locations – our network of forum users are always scouting out new holiday hotspots for us!
- Parenting tips
- Bereavement – sometimes you just need someone to talk to, even if it’s only online
In our single parents community – and it really does feel like a community, with a huge amount of mutual support and respect – you can ask anything or share whatever’s on your mind. It might be the middle of the night, you’re feeling down and there’s no one you could call to talk about a problem, but there’ll be a forum user online who will happily respond. Sometimes a little human contact is all you need.
Our single parent forum also works so well because of our holidays – parents and kids meet on holiday and make friends, and they still want to keep in touch when they get home. If they live at opposite ends of the country, they can use the SWK forum as a meeting place until the next trip.
How to get the most from our forum
If you’d like to join our friendly community, here’s how you can get the most out of the experience:
- Be respectful.Even if someone asks a stupid question, be as polite and helpful as you can. If you can’t be nice, it’s best not to respond at all. You never know when you might need someone to answer one of your stupid questions one day.
- Get involved! A forum isn’t a forum unless people post, respond and generally get involved in discussions. Whatever’s on your mind – just go for it! Our single parents community is very welcoming and friendly, so don’t be shy about joining in.
- Give as well as take. You might have received some great advice from one of our forum users, but make sure you pay it forward by helping out someone else if you’re able to. Answer a question or contribute to a discussion – it’s a community, after all!