Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Tent & Equipment Reviews  (Read 11138 times)

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
Tent & Equipment Reviews
« on: September 02, 2010, 10:47:34 PM »
As there are so many first time campers join us on our camping events, it's probably a good idea to have an area of the forum where we can put up reviews of our tents and other equipment to help when everyone's adding to their lists .....

To try and keep this section easy to read, it might be worth trying to keep titles consistent - with the label and then make? (eg  Tent:   Sunncamp Evolution 6 berth tent). The more info the better to help someone choose. 

There's 8 months now until the next SWK Club Camp so plenty of time to add up our hints, tips and advice, and let's see if we can convince anyone to buy anything other than a Vango  ;D

Silky x
A positive mental attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"

Offline Stuart

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
Re: Tent & Equipment Reviews
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 07:13:12 PM »
Have you ever seen this one on your travels? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00322QRVO/ref=asc_df_B00322QRVO805895?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B00322QRVO

I am thinking of getting it after taking my new old one from Argos back. You can get a porch to add on as well which is cool, keep George happy :)

Stuart
Laughter is always the best medicine, unless your a diabetic then insulin works better.

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 07:35:51 PM »
I haven't seen that one but there were some good Gelerts on the campsite at Wicksteed. Did you see Sapphire's tent? That was a tunnel tent but with lots of windows - a beige one, I can't remember the brand.  The Vango Icarus tent seems really popular too and easy to put up - just make sure you find the right tent to go back to on a night or you'll end up with Mand....or Shelley...or Charlie....or....or... ;D

The Easy Camp Boston on this page  looks quite interesting, a good price and fairly spacious, it might be worth checking out.

Failing that, TeeTee may be selling her latest tent, out for a brief visit and now usurped by a campervan  :)

Silky x
A positive mental attitude may not solve all your problems but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort"

Offline Stuart

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 09:45:44 PM »
Thanks for that, I like the one I saw as I like the idea of getting add ons. Will do my homework though over the winter and see what is to be had. Argos were great and gave me a full refund as I took the new one back fully boxed as it was not used. Mind you when I got back my washing machine broke so they got the money back anyway.

I liked the old tent style as the two rooms bit is great, the design was just not that good as was very obvious so I was not going to risk it again, this is why I am looking at the same kind of design again.

Stuart
Laughter is always the best medicine, unless your a diabetic then insulin works better.

Offline Mand

• Coordinator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 10:17:38 PM »
Vango Icarus 500

Def my favourite tent ever. I had a few over the years and this is perfect in my opinion.

Its a tunnel tent with rear bedroom that can be split into 2. Sewn in ground sheet and fully erected bedroom...no faffing hooking it up after the tents up. 3 poles and i reakon even 1st time you can get it up in 30 mins max that includes all the guy ropes. I can put it up myself which is a bonus.

This year ive added the sun canopy ...its fantastic and well worth the £50 it cost. Doubles the living area and even when its piddling down you can have the main door rolled up and nothing gets wet.

also added a carpet lol  ;D

8 months till next camp is that all .... hmm must start the lists  ;)

Offline scatily

• addict
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 10:23:13 AM »
Khyam vis a vis super i think was it's original name.

It's one of their 'quick pitch' tents.

4 man on paper but i only ever use for the 2 of us so we get a room each. Can stand in the central living area.

I got this up in the peak district last weekend in the rain and gale force wind single handed within 10 minutes, completly up, pegged out, guys etc then just 5 more minutes to put the bedrooms in (they can be left in but i prefer to take them out). Stayed up and dry all weekend even though the weather was shocking!

Just takes a couple of times practicing getting the knack of the clips in the garden before the first trip away.

The only thing missing for me is a sewn in ground sheet, also i am a 2-3 night camper normally, if i was going for longer i'd want a bigger tent.

Got it on ebay last summer £80 including p & p, this year they were going for £50 ish, the newer version was the conquest, the latest version the freelander
( i don't like the layout of these though).

« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 12:14:31 PM by STH »

Offline scatily

• addict
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 10:30:55 AM »
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/gb.camping/family.htm

This is a link to show the tent. Mines the one in the first pic, like i say can only get them second hand now but i love it!

Quite fancy http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/seconds-base-4-2-74200814/   next though, would love to hear from anyone who has one.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 12:15:58 PM by STH »

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 02:27:50 PM »
Hi Scats,
One of the ladies at New Forest had one of these, she arrived at nearly midnight and had her tent pitched within 15 minutes even though she'd never had it out of the bag previously. Sarah, next to me at Wicksteed, had a similar tent with only the one bedroom and it was really easy to put up and take down, with a fair amount of space inside too. The Quechua tents can link onto each other too if you wanted to add one of the day rooms too.

Silky x

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 02:35:22 PM »
Vango Icarus 500

Def my favourite tent ever. I had a few over the years and this is perfect in my opinion.

I knew it wouldn't be long before the Vango Fan Club came along!  I can't believe how many of there are of you now, the numbers are increasing rapidly at each camping trip. You're not on commission by any chance are you Mand?  ;)

Silky x

Offline Silky

• Administrator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 02:37:25 PM »
. Argos were great and gave me a full refund

Did you get a refund for the sale amount you paid or the full amount on the receipt?  Great if it's the latter, it'll have paid for your camping trip!

Silky x

Offline Stuart

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 02:40:11 PM »
Hi Scats,
One of the ladies at New Forest had one of these, she arrived at nearly midnight and had her tent pitched within 15 minutes even though she'd never had it out of the bag previously. Sarah, next to me at Wicksteed, had a similar tent with only the one bedroom and it was really easy to put up and take down, with a fair amount of space inside too. The Quechua tents can link onto each other too if you wanted to add one of the day rooms too.

Silky x

I remember Sarah but cannot remember her tent :) I have had a look round today and many stores have sold out of this years stuff but can always get what I want from Amazon or might even sneak into one of the trade shows and have a nose around.

I did get some camping chairs today which were on sale so happy with them, so at least I have something to sit on but nothing to lay under, all sounds a bit wrong.

Stuart

Offline Stuart

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 02:42:20 PM »
. Argos were great and gave me a full refund

Did you get a refund for the sale amount you paid or the full amount on the receipt?  Great if it's the latter, it'll have paid for your camping trip!

Silky x

Yes I got the full amount back on the receipt so really happy. I was going to get the tent I mentioned from Halfords today but all sold out so will get one online in the new year or something.

Stuart

Offline Mand

• Coordinator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 05:47:01 PM »
Vango Icarus 500

I knew it wouldn't be long before the Vango Fan Club came along!  I can't believe how many of there are of you now, the numbers are increasing rapidly at each camping trip. You're not on commission by any chance are you Mand?  ;)

Silky x

i wish  ;D

Offline Laus

• trainee
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 05:20:18 PM »
I've never been camping but I keep visiting the outdoor store to look at tents and I think I'm going to get one and book some camping SWK trips next year.  I've seen the Vango Icarus 500 and really like it, can I put it up myself?  It's at the outdoor store for £140 but for a week at the end of September it will be £100.  Is this a good price for it?  Thanks for your help,
Laura

Offline Mand

• Coordinator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 08:20:18 PM »
Laura

Yes you can put it up yourself and yes £100 is an absolute bargin !!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Stuart

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 09:09:20 PM »
I've never been camping but I keep visiting the outdoor store to look at tents and I think I'm going to get one and book some camping SWK trips next year.  I've seen the Vango Icarus 500 and really like it, can I put it up myself?  It's at the outdoor store for £140 but for a week at the end of September it will be £100.  Is this a good price for it?  Thanks for your help,
Laura

As you are not a million miles away from me, is that the store in Harlow? Someone else mentioned the outdoor store, I have not been yet but planning too.

Stuart

Offline Laus

• trainee
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 09:18:59 PM »
Thanks for your help, glad I can put it up myself (in theory!)  I just need to get over my worry of a fox breaking into the tent now, can that happen?!

And yes it's the one in Harlow, 5 mins from me.  I've been past two weekends for a browse.  It's great!  All the tents are built and so my daughter has helped me choose one and the Vango Icarus 500 it is.  You buy a £4 yearly discount card and then get good prices on everything, including special offers at different weeks/weekends.  Whereabouts are you?

Offline Stuart

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 09:26:45 PM »
I might pop up tommorow then. I am in Ongar so not far at all, funny since moving a few months ago it's probably the only store I have not been in. I would not worry about foxes, Donkeys and Horses yes but not foxes :)

Camping is something I thought I would never do again but it really is great and I have had lots of help from the guys on here and will be doing more next year.

Stuart

Offline Laus

• trainee
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2010, 09:38:07 PM »
Horses and Donkeys really?  Oh my.
It says I live in Woodford but I've just moved to Church Langley, just round the corner.  Let me know how you get on tomorrow.  If you see a random woman walking around trying to get some free entertainment by playing hide and seek in the tents, you know I've succumbed to yet another visit  ;D

Offline Stuart

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2010, 09:48:19 PM »
The New Forest camping is around a national park so roaming Donkeys and Horses which is really nice to see, great place to go.

If you want to meet up and have a nose around you can if you like, if not no problem. I really want to see the tent I am interested in when its up so I can make a decision, also there has been a few others mentioned that I would like to see as well, just been on the website and it looks really good.

Stuart

Offline Laus

• trainee
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2010, 10:02:38 PM »
That would be good, I could get there about 11.30 and see you by the Icarus 500 for a camping chat if you like.  Always good to know someone from SWK locally  :)

Offline Stuart

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 08:55:02 AM »
Ok sounds cool, no idea what the Icarus 500 looks like but i'm sure I will find it, I will see you there. I will more than likely have a white Nike jacket on.

Stuart

Offline Stuart

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 09:01:02 AM »
Just realised is it the Go Outdoors store?

Stuart

Offline Laus

• trainee
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2010, 09:13:58 AM »
Yes it is the Go Outdoors store.  There's a tent display outside, they are all labelled, the Vango Icarus is the first one on the right as you walk out (or the second?!).  I have white top and jeans and a 4 year old girl :-)  I'll be there 11.30 to 11.40.  See you then,
Laura

Offline Mand

• Coordinator
  • beyond all hope !
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2010, 01:57:40 PM »
so what did you buy ?

Offline Stuart

• SWK Member
  • part of the furniture
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2010, 03:42:09 PM »
I just went to look at a 6 berth tent which I ended up really interested in, same style as my old one but far bigger and you can can an add on porch. http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-zenobia-6-p148235 I think Laura will get the Icarus which is a great price but just a bit small for a big lump like me, but definately a great tent.

Great to meet you Laura and glad to help and don't forget the guys on here know far more than I do about camping. It is a great shop very impressed and will certainley pop along nearer the time of camping again.

Stuart

Offline Liverbird

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2010, 06:24:53 PM »
first off, hi Laura, met u on second part of week at Norfolk, hope you are both doing well.  Let me know what tent u buy! i have just bought my first from go outdoors on way home from camping trip bh w/end in Wrexham (i tent shared again !).  I initially went to seek out the vango ircus 500,  as suggested by many on here (thank u) but fell in love with the one down, tigris 400 as i felt overwhelmed by the size of the ircus so my advice to anyone is it is a must to see the tent errected and go in it before purchase!!! Its basically same but i felt more managable for me.  If i have probs with the size after trial of it i just will add the tent canopy at a later date.  I also considered its size when trying to fit it into my yaris!  The Tigris is suposedly a 4 man but can sleep 6, 3 in each bedroom and if neccessary 2 more in living room but there will only be 2/3 of us in it but am SO LOOKING FORWARD TO ITS FIRST USE ON SWK CAMPING TRIPS NEXT YEAR, it will be very well used and wish i could fast fwd time lol x

Offline Laus

• trainee
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2010, 08:04:17 PM »
Thanks for all your tips and advice Stuart, it was great to walk round a camping shop with someone that's actually been camping before, pointing out the necessities from the consumer rubbish! 
I bought a £4 discount card but not the tent as it's on special from Sept 23rd so will go back and get it then.  It's the Vango Icarus 500, I really like it.  The carpet and canopy can wait until another time, but I'm going to buy all my bits and pieces over the next few months as and when I see a good deal, ready for camping with SWK next year. 
Hi Pam, I hope you're well.  Will be good to see you on a camping trip next year!  Roll on 2011,
Laura
x

Offline Liverbird

• SWK Member
  • trainee
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 04:18:03 PM »
yes roll on camping and may be some good weather to go with it from this years weather we should be in for a fab spell of it! lol

Single Parent Holidays in the UK and Overseas. Single With Kids offers the widest range of breaks and holidays for single parents, from camping with kids and value breaks through to all inclusive overseas resorts and adventure holidays. Our destinations range from the Lakes through to Lapland, Center Parcs to Tunisia. All Single With Kids Holidays are in group settings with the focus on fun and friendship. Everyone is a single parent family with children aged from babies through to teenagers, and mums and dads from all backgrounds.*Single With Kids Ltd * Greg Street, Stockport SK5 7BR * Telephone 0845 166 8119 *

Copyright © 2014 Single with Kids.
All rights reserved.